Pack Rides policies and limitations
We will provide efficient, quality service to students, faculty and staff of the University of Nevada, Reno. Our core values include the following.
Denial of service
Callers who attempt to circumvent policy by requesting pickup or drop-off at a serviceable location with the intention of walking or requesting an escort to another location will be denied service.
Callers who repeatedly attempt to circumvent these policies cause a disruption to the service and will receive a warning from the Director of External Affairs. Continued abuse of the system may result in having Pack Rides privileges revoked.
Restrictions on Pack Rides services
To ensure we are best allocating our resources to meet our priorities, we have some restrictions on our service:
- Pack Rides will abide by all State and Federal laws.
- Pack Rides will travel no farther than a predetermined three-mile boundary from the perimeter of the main campus.
- A property or recognized unit of the University of Nevada, Reno (including university affiliated Greek houses) must be the start or end of a trip.
- No third party commercial business can be the start or end of a trip with the exceptions of:
- Walgreen’s (located at 750 N Virginia St.). Must be a round trip from an on-campus dorm hall.
- RTC bus station (200 E 4th St.). Must include an on-campus dorm hall as a pick-up or drop-off location.
- The United States Post Office (1674 N Virginia St.). Must be a round trip from an on-campus dorm hall.
- Pack Rides will not pick up or drop off at parties. If any caller or a friend is intoxicated and needs a ride home, they should call a cab or plan ahead and designate a sober driver.
- On weekends (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday), a residence (off-campus or on-campus) may only be a starting point or ending point of a trip. In other words, Pack Rides will not provide a ride from one residence to another on those nights.
- Callers who attempt to circumvent policy by requesting pick-up or drop-off at a serviceable location with the intention of walking or requesting a ride to another location will be denied service and flagged.
Inclement weather protocol
ASUN Pack Rides reserves the right to stop service if inclement weather or road conditions jeopardize the ability of the service to operate safely. While not all inclement weather-related shutdowns can be anticipated, the following protocol is in place:
- During service hours, weather and road conditions will be evaluated every 30 minutes
- Updates will be sent out through ASUN social media as early as possible
- Alerts sent to the front desk in the Joe Crowley Student Union, Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center or E. L. Wiegand Fitness Center
Once service has been shut down, the messages on the Nevada Pack Rides app and the Pack Rides phone will be updated accordingly.
- Compressed Gases
- Radioactive Materials
- Corrosive Materials
- Animals, excluding service animals
- All other items are listed in the Student Code of Conduct