Office of Undergraduate Fellowships
The University of Nevada, Reno Office of Undergraduate (and Graduate) Fellowships assists students, including undergraduates, graduates, and recent alumni interested in pursuing a national fellowship, grant or award. We provide resources and support throughout the application process, from outreach events on campus, to one-on-one mentoring, to celebrating students' success.
Each year, outstanding University of Nevada students receive generous awards for undergraduate and graduate study, research, teaching and public service in the United States and throughout the world; our students have been successful winners of virtually every nationally competitive award, including the Truman Scholarship, Rhodes Scholarship, Marshall Scholarship, Goldwater Scholarship, Boren Scholarship and numerous Fulbright awards. In addition to their accomplishments in the classroom, these students further distinguished themselves by engaging in undergraduate research, making a sustained focus on public or community service and their commitment to excellence.
The office supports young scholars in academic and professional development by identifying and recruiting students to apply to nationally and internationally competitive scholarships, working with them through the application process, and representing them and UNR to other offices and institutions.
- Identifying and recruiting students to both apply for fellowships as well enroll in the Honors College
- Training and supporting students through the application process and professionalizing them for the world at large
- Connecting and liaising with other offices and agencies to better represent UNR students to the world
What we do
Our office provides a variety of opportunities and activities for University of Nevada, Reno students. Our staff works with our Advisory Committee, the Honors College Awards Committee, the International Education Week Planning Committee, and with the University of Nevada, Reno's chapter of Phi Kappa Phi to support students during their time at the University. Through this work, and in coordination with other colleges and units at the University of Nevada, Reno, here are some examples of what we do:
- Swan’s way: a monthly newsletter sent to students which highlights scholarships, internships, and other opportunities
- Workshops and information session: At our Pack Life page you can find the schedule for our information sessions on opportunities like the Goldwater Scholarship, Rhodes Scholar, and Fulbright Fellowship. You will also find workshops on applying for NURA, PREP, study abroad scholarships like CLS and Boren, DAAD-RISE internship program and others, as well as for resumes and research plans.
- Coordinate International Education Week along with the Honors LLC, campus partners, and community stakeholders
- Develop international and research opportunities, such as the UNR SLECC program to Sri Lanka
- Host dinners and coffee receptions with Phi Kappa Phi to help with research networking and professionalization
- Student awards that recognize University of Nevada, Reno student achievements.
- Professional and scholarly development courses, which are often listed as HON 399, such as journal club, book club, international research workshop, and fellowships workshop.