The University of Nevada, Reno is excited to announce an educational research grant that will train Spanish-English bilingual undergraduates. Undergraduate participants, or Leadership Trainees (LTs), will receive professional development in a variety of areas to prepare them to guide high school Student Researchers (SRs) through CBESS programming. Leadership Trainees will be provided intensive professional development workshops. They will gain experience and practice with inquiry-based instruction and strategies to engage the Student Researchers in STEM-health care content. In addition, LTs will receive training in the Responsible Conduct of Research and mentoring skills. Leadership Trainees will practically apply this knowledge by mentoring and guiding the SRs through the program. LTs will receive a stipend for their participation.
CBESS will select 4 bilingual undergraduates to participate in the following programming:
- Professional Development - You will attend up to three full-day training sessions in, STEM Identity, Best Practices in Mentoring, Facilitation and Conflict Resolution, Inquiry-Based Instruction Methods, and CBESS Program Logistics. You will also complete responsible conduct of research training online (THOR). These trainings may take place in-person or virtually.
- Career Exploration Events - These will happen during the spring semester. They will be about 4 hours long. These events will take place on Saturdays.These events may be held in-person or virtually. Dates (subject to change) are:
- Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #1: March 28, 7:00am-11:30am
- Career Exploration Event #2: April 18, 7:00am-12:30am
- Career Exploration Event #3 May 9, 7:00am-12:30am
- Summer Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #4: June 6, 7:00am-1:00pm
- Summer Residential Research Program - If held in-person, you will live on the University Of Nevada, Reno campus Sunday evenings through Friday afternoons for 3 weeks. You will chaperone, teach and mentor high school participants. If held virtually, all programing will be done via Zoom. Dates (subject to change) for the summer program are:
- Week 1: June 14
- Week 2: June 21-25
- Week 3: June 28-July 2
- Near-Peer Mentoring - You will be assigned a group of high school mentees. You will engage them in group mentoring once a month upon their acceptance into the program (February 2021). Individual mentoring sessions will take place monthly during their senior year (2021-2022) and will last about 1 hour. The sessions will occur via video chat or in-person.
LTs will receive up to $4000 stipend for their participation in the program.
Eligibility of applicants is based on the following:
- Spanish-English bilingual
- Interested in STEM or health care careers
- Undergraduates taking upper-division STEM classes
- Mentoring / teaching experience
- First generation students
- Studying in the College of Education, Science, Community Health, and Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources, or Nevada INBRE Biomedical program