PhD, The Ohio State University
Ansari Business Building, Room 504
Forensic anthropology, bioarchaeology,dental anthropology,prehistoric California, Neolithic Anatolia
My research interests focus on how the human skeleton can inform our understanding of human behavior in archaeological contexts and also be used in a forensic context as part of the biological profile. I am particularly interested in the application of dental morphology and metrics to answering research questions in both of these realms. My bioarchaeological research has focused on Neolithic Anatolia and prehistoric California. Within forensic anthropology I am pursuing research in the estimation of ancestry and taphonomy.
I am a board certified forensic anthropologist (D-ABFA no.109) and a member of the American Association of Forensic Sciences, Register of Professional Archaeologists, American Association of Physical Anthropologists, Society for American Archaeology, Dental Anthropology Association, and Sigma Xi. I also consult on forensic anthropological analysis and scene recovery.
- ANTH 102 (Introduction to Physical Anthropology)
- ANTH 468 (Forensic Anthropology)
- ANTH 444 (Bioarchaeology)
- ANTH 462/662 (Human Osteology)
- ANTH 467/667 (Paleopathology)
- ANTH 493/693 (Analytical Methods and Research Design)
- ANTH 704 (Evolutionary Theory)
- ANTH 701 (Gross Anatomy and Embryology)
- ANTH 762 (Lab Seminar in Osteology)
- ANTH 771 (Seminar in Bioarchaeology)
- 2018 Passalacqua, Nicholas V. and Marin A. Pilloud. Ethics and Professionalism in Forensic Anthropology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 2016 Forensic and Bioarchaeological Perspectives on Biological Distance. Marin A. Pilloud and Joseph T. Hefner, editors. San Diego, California: Academic Press.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2018 Pilloud, Marin A., Christopher Maier, G. Richard Scott, Heather J.H. Edgar. Molar Crenulation Trait Definition and Variation in Modern Human Populations. HOMO - Journal of Comparative Biology 69(3):77-85.
- 2018 Hlusko, Leslea J., Joshua Carlson, George Chaplin, Scott A. Elias, John F. Hoffecker, Michaela Huffman, Nina Jablonski, Tesla Monson, Dennis H. O'Rourke, Marin A. Pilloud, G. Richard Scott. Evidence of Environmental Selection on the Mother-Infant Transmission of Vitamin D during the Last Ice Age in Beringia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1711788115.
- 2018 Scott, G. Richard, Marin A. Pilloud, David Navega, João d'Oliveira Coelho, Eugénia Cunha, Joel D. Irish. rASUDAS: A New Web-Based Application for Estimating Ancestry from Tooth Morphology. Forensic Anthropology 1:18-31.
- 2016 Pilloud, Marin A., Scott D. Haddow, Christopher J. Knüsel, and Clark Spencer Larsen. A Bioarchaeological and Forensic Re-Assessment of Vulture Defleshing and Mortuary Practices at Neolithic Çatalhöyük. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.
- 2015 Larsen, Clark Spencer, Simon W. Hillson, Başak Boz, Marin A. Pilloud, Joshua W. Sadvari, Sabrina C. Agarwal, Bonnie Glencross, Patrick Beauchesne, Jessica Pearson, Christopher B. Ruff, Evan M. Garofalo, Lori D. Hager, Scott D. Haddow, and Christopher J. Knüsel. Bioarchaeology of Neolithic Çatalhöyük: Lives and Lifestyles of an Early Farming Society in Transition. Journal of World Prehistory 28:27-68.
- 2014 Pilloud, Marin A., Joseph T. Hefner, Tsunehiko Hanihara, Atsuko Hayashi. The Use of Tooth Crown Measurements in the Assessment of Ancestry. Journal of Forensic Sciences 59(6):1493-1501.
- 2014 Schwitalla, Al, Terry L. Jones, Marin A. Pilloud, Brian F. Codding, and Randy Wiberg. Violence Among Foragers: The Bioarchaeological Record from Central California. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 33:66-83.
- 2012 Pilloud, Marin A. and Simon Hillson. Brief Communication: The Use of Alternative Dental Measurements on Deciduous Teeth. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 149(2):299-306.
- 2011 Pilloud, Marin A. and Clark S. Larsen. "Official" and "Practical" Kin: Inferring Social and Community Structure from Dental Phenotype at Neolithic Çatalhöyük, Turkey. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 145(4):519-530.
Full List of Publications at Researchgate: