Geoffrey M. Smith
Associate Professor and Executive Director of the Great Basin Paleoindian Research Unit (GBPRU)
Ph.D., University of Wyoming (2010)
Ansari Business Building, Room 621
Office Hours Spring 2019: Mon-Thurs 9:00-10:30 AM
The Paleoindian-Archaic transition in the Great Basin; Great Basin prehistory and paleoecology; lithic technological organization; hunter-gatherer mobility; peopling of the New World.
I have been working in the Great Basin since 2001 and have primarily focused my research on the archaeology of the terminal Pleistocene/early Holocene, ca. 11,500-7,500 radiocarbon years ago. Specifically, I have worked to develop a better understanding of Paleoindian mobility through analyses of lithic technology and source provenance studies of obsidian artifacts in the Black Rock Desert-High Rock Country of northwest Nevada and, more recently, south-central Oregon. Although I am particularly interested in Paleoindian mobility, I am also concerned with how environmental, demographic, and social conditions contributed to diachronic changes in hunter-gatherer adaptation in the Great Basin.
As Executive Director of the Great Basin Paleoindian Research Unit (GBPRU), I am actively involved in fieldwork throughout the Great Basin each summer and am currently directing the analysis of assemblages from Last Supper Cave, Leonard Rockshelter, the Little Steamboat Point 1 Rockshelter, Warner Valley, Guano Valley, and other sites in the region. I welcome inquiries from prospective undergraduate and graduate students interested in Paleoindian archaeology and Great Basin prehistory.
- Anth 202 Introduction to Archaeology
- Anth 350 The Archaeology of Nevada
- Anth 446/646 Archaeological Methods
- Anth 448a/648a Field School in Archaeology
- Anth 449b Lithic Artifact Analysis
- Anth 493r/693r Analytical Methods and Research Design in Anthropology
- Anth 723 Lithic Technological Organization
- Anth 740 Great Basin Prehistory and Paleoecology
- Anth 741 Peopling of the Americas
- 2019 Rosencrance, Richard, Geoffrey M. Smith, Dennis L. Jenkins, Thomas J. Connolly, and Thomas N. Layton. Reinvestigating Cougar Mountain Cave: New Perspectives on Stratigraphy, Chronology, and a Younger Dryas Occupation in the Northern Great Basin. American Antiquity 84, in press.
- 2018 Smith, Geoffrey M., Christopher S. Jazwa, Richard L. Rosencrance, and Tobin C. Bottman. A Late Prehistoric Marine-Shell Bead from Oregon's Hawksy Walksy Valley. Journal of California and Great Basin Anthropology 38(2):288-300.
- 2018 Smith, Geoffrey M., and David C. Harvey. Reconstructing Prehistoric Landscape Use at a Regional Scale: A Critical Review of the Lithic Conveyance Zone Concept with a Focus on Its Limitations. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 19:828-835.
- 2018 Derek J. Reaux, Geoffrey M. Smith, Kenneth D. Adams, Sophia Jamaldin, Nicole George, Katelyn Mohr, and Richard Rosencrance. A First Look at the Terminal Pleistocene/Early Holocene Record of Guano Valley, Oregon, USA. PaleoAmerica 4(2):162-176.
- 2017 Connolly, Thomas J., Judson B. Finley, Geoffrey M. Smith, Dennis L. Jenkins, Pamela E. Endzweig, Brian L. O'Neill, and Paul W. Baxter. Return to Fort Rock Cave: Assessing the Site's Potential to Contribute to Ongoing Debates About How and When Humans Colonized the Great Basin. American Antiquity 82(3):558-573.
- 2017 Ollivier, Aaron P., Geoffrey M. Smith, and Pat Barker. A Collection of Fiber Sandals from Last Supper Cave, Nevada, and its Implications for Cave and Rockshelter Abandonment During the Middle Holocene. American Antiquity 82(2):325-340.
- 2017 Pilloud, Marin A., Derek Reaux, Geoffrey M. Smith, and Kristina M. Wiggins. Using Fordisc Software to Assign Obsidian Artifacts to Geological Sources: Proof of Concept. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 13:428-434.
- 2017 Smith, Geoffrey M., and Pat Barker. The Terminal Pleistocene/Early Holocene Record in the Northwestern Great Basin: What We Know, What We Don't Know, and How We May be Wrong. PaleoAmerica 3(1):13-47.
- 2017 Smith, Geoffrey M., Donald D. Pattee, and Madeline Ware Van Der Voort. Diachronic Variability in Prehistoric Land-Use in Oregon's Warner Valley. North American Archaeologist 38(2):183-206.
- 2017 Rondeau, Michael F., Geoffrey M. Smith, and John W. Daugherty. Discriminating Black Rock Concave Base points from Other Western Paleoindian Projectile Points. In Plainview: the Enigmatic Paleoindian Artifact Style of the Great Plains, edited by Vance T. Holliday and Ruthann Knudson, pp. 230-248. University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City.
- 2017 Wriston, T.A., and Geoffrey M. Smith. Late Pleistocene to Holocene History of Lake Warner and its Prehistoric Occupations, Warner Valley, Oregon. Quaternary Research 88:491-513.
- 2017 Hadden, Carla S., Alexander Cherkinsky, Geoffrey M. Smith, Aaron P. Olliview, and Hai Pan. Carbon and Oxygen Isotope Composition of Early Holocene Olivella Shell Beads from the Northwest Coast, USA. Radiocarbon 59(5)1507-1519.
- 2016 Smith, Geoffrey M., Alexander Cherkinsky, Carla Hadden, and Aaron P. Ollivier. The Age and Origin of Olivella Shell Beads from Oregon's LSP-1 Rockshelter: The Oldest Marine Shell Beads in the Northern Great Basin. American Antiquity 81(3):550-561.
- 2016 Kennedy, Jaime D., and Geoffrey M. Smith. Paleoethnobotany at the LSP-1 Rockshelter, Southcentral Oregon: Assessing the Diversity of Plant Foods in Holocene Diet. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 5:640-648.
- 2016 Smith, Geoffrey M., Aaron Ollivier, Pat Barker, Anna J. Camp, David C. Harvey, and Hillary Jones. A Collection of Fiber Artifacts from Southcentral Oregon. Journal of California and Great Basin Anthropology 36(1):149-159.
- 2015 Smith, Geoffrey M., and Christopher Morgan. Plateau and Great Basin. Cultura Antiqua 67(3):57-67.
- 2015 Smith, Geoffrey M. Modeling the Influences of Raw Material Availability and Functional Efficiency on Obsidian Projectile Point Curation: a Great Basin Example. Journal of Archaeological Science Reports 3:112-121.
- 2015 Smith, Geoffrey M., Teresa A. Wriston, Donald D. Pattee, and Danielle C. Felling. The Surface Paleoindian Record of Northern Warner Valley, Oregon, and its Bearing on the Temporal Separation of Clovis and Western Stemmed Points in the Northern Great Basin. Paleoamerica 1(4):360-373.
- 2015 Smith, Geoffrey M., Danielle C. Felling, Anthony W. Taylor, and Thomas N. Layton. Evaluating the Stratigraphic and Chronological Integrity of the Last Supper Cave Deposits. Journal of California and Great Basin Anthropology 35(1):99-112.
- 2014 Smith, Geoffrey M., Donald D. Pattee, Judson B. Finley, John L. Fagan, and Evan Pellegrini. A Stone Crescent from a Stratified, Radiocarbon-Dated Rockshelter in the Northern Great Basin. North American Archaeologist 35(3):257-276.
- 2014 Smith, Geoffrey M., Pat Barker, Eugene M. Hattori, Anan Raymond, and Ted Goebel. Identifying Dart and Arrow Points in the Great Basin: A Reply to Hockett et al. American Antiquity 79(3):566-569.
- 2014 Middleton, Emily S., Geoffrey M. Smith, William J. Cannon, and Mary Ricks. Paleoindian Rock Art: Establishing the Antiquity of Great Basin Carved Abstract Petroglyphs in the Northern Great Basin. Journal of Archaeological Science 43:21-30.
- 2013 Smith, Geoffrey M., Emily S. Middleton, and Peter A. Carey. Paleoindian Technological Provisioning in the Northwestern Great Basin. Journal of Archaeological Science 40:4180-4188.
- 2013 Smith, Geoffrey M., Pat Barker, Eugene M. Hattori, Anan Raymond, and Ted Goebel. Points in Time: Direct Radiocarbon Dates on Great Basin Projectile Points. American Antiquity 78(3):580-594.
- 2013 Kelly, Robert L., Todd A. Surovell, Bryan N. Shuman, and Geoffrey M. Smith. A Continuous Climatic Impact on Holocene Human Population in the Rocky Mountains. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110(2):443-447.
- 2012 Smith, Geoffrey M., Stephen J. LaValley, and Kristina M. Wiggins. Late Holocene Lithic Procurement Strategies in the Northwestern Great Basin: The View from Paiute Creek Shelter, Nevada. North American Archaeologist 33(4):399-427.
- 2012 Lafayette, Linsie, and Geoffrey M. Smith. Use-Wear Traces on Experimental (Replicated) and Prehistoric Stemmed Points in the Great Basin. Journal of California and Great Basin Anthropology 32(2):141-160.
- 2012 Smith, Geoffrey M., Peter Carey, Emily S. Middleton, and Jennifer Kielhofer. Cascade Points in the Northern Great Basin: a Radiocarbon-Dated Foliate Point Assemblage from Warner Valley, Oregon. North American Archaeologist 33(1):13-34.
- 2012 Nevada Archaeologist Volume 25 (editor).
- 2011 Smith, Geoffrey M., and Jennifer Kielhofer. Through the High Rock and Beyond: Placing the Last Supper Cave and Parman Paleoindian Lithic Assemblages into a Regional Context. Journal of Archaeological Science 38:3568-3576.
- 2011 Smith, Geoffrey M., Stephen J. LaValley, and Craig Skinner. Results from the XRF Analysis of Pre-Archaic Projectile Points from Hanging Rock Shelter, Northwest Nevada. Current Research in the Pleistocene 28:158-160.
- 2011 Fenner, Lindsay A., Geoffrey M. Smith, Samuel Coffman, and Gary D. Noyes. Comparing Great Basin Paleoindian Raw Material Procurement Strategies: X-ray Fluorescence Data from Obsidian Fluted and Stemmed Points from Mud Lake and Lake Tonopah, Nevada. Current Research in the Pleistocene 28:44-46.
- 2011 Smith, Geoffrey M. Nevada Archaeologist Volume 24 (editor).
- 2011 Smith, Geoffrey M. A Least-Cost Path Analysis of Pre-Archaic Travel Across The Black Rock Desert-High Rock Country of Northwest Nevada. Nevada Archaeologist 24:21-31.
- 2011 Smith, Geoffrey M. Shifting Stones and Changing Homes: Using Toolstone Ratios to Consider Relative Occupation Span in the Northwestern Great Basin. Journal of Archaeological Science 38:461-469.
- 2010 Smith, Geoffrey M. Footprints Across the Black Rock: Temporal Variability in Prehistoric Foraging Territories and Toolstone Procurement Strategies in the Western Great Basin. American Antiquity 75(4):865-885.