Preparing for Advising
Prepare For Your Student Advisement Appointment
- Make an appointment with your advisor well before your assigned registration date. Registration usually begins in mid-November for the spring semester, and the end of March for the fall/summer semesters.
- Utilize the Course Catalog to find information on potential major and minor options.
- Make sure you review your Advising Report (coming soon to MyNEVADA).
- Prepare a list of questions for your advisor and plan to take notes.
- Make sure you have taken care of holds on your account (other than advising holds) prior to your appointment as they will delay the process when it comes time to register for classes.
- Transfer Students: be sure to have all prior transcripts sent to Admissions and Records for articulation purposes. It is helpful to have the transcript evaluation process completed prior to meeting with your advisor.
- Understand that advisors are here to assist you and offer feedback based on the information you provide. Ultimately, you will make the final decisions based on what is discussed in your session.
- Lastly, be attentive and ready to interact with your advisor. Use this time to find out about important resources, gain more knowledge about options available to you and actively participate in your educational experience here at the University of Nevada, Reno.