Mission & Core Themes
The University of Nevada, Reno's vision is to educate and graduate the best-prepared, confident leaders for the state, national, and global community; to be a nexus for research and creativity that focuses on vital issues of our time; and to serve as a catalyst for the betterment of our society.
Inspired by its land-grant foundation, the University of Nevada, Reno provides outstanding learning, discovery, and engagement programs that serve the economic, social, environmental, and cultural needs of the citizens of Nevada, the nation, and the world. The University recognizes and embraces the critical importance of diversity in preparing students for global citizenship and is committed to a culture of excellence, inclusion, and accessibility.
The University of Nevada, Reno Mission Statement was approved in its current form by the NSHE Board of Regents on December 4, 2014. It is consistent with the NSHE Mission Statement (Board of Regents Handbook Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 1.)
In all of its activities, the University is guided by the following values:
- Excellence in all of our endeavors.
- Integrity in all our actions.
- Inclusiveness of diverse cultures and identities.
- Collaboration between disciplines and programs and with community partners and stakeholders.
The university's Core Themes derive from the Mission Statement approved by the Board of Regents. Individually, they articulate the university's central mandates in teaching, research, outreach. The mission statement also articulates the University's commitment to diversity. In fact, our commitment to diversity is a "Core Value" of the University that infuses each of the Core Themes. Thus, each theme acknowledges the university's distinct obligations as a land-grant institution committed to respecting and reflecting the gender, ethnic, cultural, and ability/disability diversity of the citizens of Nevada. Together, these themes encompass the university's mission.
- Core Theme 1 - Learning: Prepare graduates to compete globally through high-quality undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the liberal arts, sciences, and selected professional programs.
- Core Theme 2 - Discovery: Create new knowledge through basic and applied research, scholarship and artistry in strategically selected fields relevant to Nevada and the wider world.
- Core Theme 3 - Engagement: Strengthen the social, economic and environmental well-being of Nevada citizens, communities, organizations, and governments through community outreach and reciprocal partnerships.