Theme 3–Engagement: Strengthen the social, economic, and environmental well-being of people by engaging Nevada citizens, communities, and governments.
Goal 1: Develop and adopt a unified concept and vision for the University’s public engagement and land-grant mission.
- Recognize and highlight the public engagement of faculty across resident instruction, research, and Extension.
- Develop University-wide mechanisms to promote interconnections across all forms or types of engagement without introducing new centralized structures.
- Develop enhanced strategic partnerships between on-campus education programs and community-based Extension and outreach.
|Goal 1 Metrics||2014||2021|
|Adopt a broad and inclusive definition of land-grant engagement at the University||Report by June 30, 2015|
|Create additional awards for community engagement||Report by June 30, 2015|
|Implementation of an annual engagement report||Report by June 30, 2015|
|Develop a mechanism for tracking partnerships between on-campus education programs and community based programs||Report by June 30, 2015|
|Develop a mechanism for tracking collaborations with University alumni||Report by June 30, 2015|
|Recognize community engagement in tenure and promotion||Report by June 30, 2015|
Goal 2: Work in concert with government and industry to diversify and develop Nevada’s economy and communities.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to support the economic plan of the State of Nevada.
- Encourage community focused university-county-city-state partnerships across all engagement entities and cross-entity collaboration to enhance the value of university resources for Nevadans.
- Establish environments that promote synergistic interactions between faculty and students and the community.
- Promote revitalization of downtown Reno through joint planning and collaboration with the City, the Regional Transportation Commission, and other partners.
|Goal 2 Metrics||2014||2021|
|Sponsored research projects that align with Nevada economic plan||401||500|
|Contract expenditures for instruction and public service||$29 million||$40 million|
|Established programs in “Innovation Center”||Under way||Completed|
|Faculty with state appointments||8||20|
|Businesses consulted for service learning||110||130|
|SBDC companies served||1,334||1,500|
Goal 3: Improve mental and physical health and quality of life for Nevada’s diverse and growing population.
- Forge partnerships with public and private hospitals, healthcare institutions, and community agencies to enhance medical and health professional education throughout the State of Nevada.
- Expand graduate medical education.
- Expand community and state partnerships in public health, including county health departments and districts, state agencies, and public health laboratories to enhance public health practice and education.
- Develop special areas of expertise and focused training programs that will enhance Nevada’s economic and social development as well as the health and quality-of-life of Nevada communities and counties.
- Provide preventative outreach programs that encourage good health and nutrition.
|Goal 3 Metrics||2014||2021|
|Formal partnerships with hospitals||21||24|
|Establish a full 4-year school of medicine in Reno||Planning||Complete|
|Accreditation for a Master and PhD of Public Health||2 MS||4 MS + PhD|
|Clients served through clinical services||344,195||500,000|
|Graduate Medical Education residencies and fellowships||362||758|
|Nursing and clinical psychology graduate students||134||150|
Goal 4: Provide access to informal and formal learning and services for citizens of all cultural backgrounds, ages, abilities, and locations.
- Increase student participation in service-learning classes.
- Increase youth and adult experiential learning through programs such as 4-H and Master Gardeners.
- Use technology for workshops, seminars, and other outreach activities to serve Nevada businesses, agencies, and institutions.
- Incentivize faculty to participate in community-based and service-learning education programs.
- Use satellite facilities to offer existing and new educational and outreach programs.
- Assist communities in emergency and disaster preparedness through programs such as the Great Nevada Shake-Out, Living With Fire, and Nevada Flood Awareness Week.
|Goal 4 Metrics||2014||2021|
|Students participating in Service Learning||868||1,050|
|Children participating in 4‐H||65,434||80,000|
|Participation in statewide disaster preparedness programs||90||100|
|Educational offerings at Redfield Campus||11||15|
|Formal partnerships with regional businesses, nonprofit, and government sectors.||104||150|
Goal 5: Work with school districts to improve college readiness of high-school graduates.
- Actively engage with K-12 programs to improve college readiness.
- Use online delivery to provide dual-credit courses to qualified high school students.
- Establish and lead statewide initiative to implement UTeach model of secondary STEM teacher education.
- Provide programs to develop early childhood literacy and school preparedness for Pre-K to grade 3 children.
- Prepare youth for college readiness through experiential, classroom, and outside-the-classroom youth education and 4-H programs.
|Goal 5 Metrics||2014||2021|
|Washoe County high school graduates prepared to enroll in college-level Math and English||
|High school students completing dual-credit courses.||65,434||80|
|Students pursuing UTeach teacher certification||0||100|
|Dean's Future Scholars||350||450|
Goal 6: Provide lectures, exhibits, performances, and athletic events that enrich the cultural fabric of the community and expose young minds to the world of possibilities in academics, the arts and culture, and athletics.
- Attract student and community members to University productions in the visual and performing arts that highlight our talented students and faculty.
- Attract student and community members to attend University NCAA events.
- Provide musical, cultural, and sport programs (e.g., Jazz Festival and summer sports camps) for children and adults.
- Present world-class scholars, thinkers, and performers.
- Provide county-based community outreach activities statewide.
|Goal 6 Metrics||2014||2021|
|Attendance at visual and performing-arts events||37,800||45,000|
|Attendance at athletic events||273,000||325,000|
|Participation in festivals and camps||9,316||11,100|
|Participation in Cooperative Extension community engagement outreach activities by county||350||450|