Other Scholarships and Awards

Below are a few of the many other scholarships and awards available to social work students.
Community Services Agency

Gosnell Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship is for students whose area of concentration is serving Native-American and Hispanic populations. For more information, contact the NASW Office of Affirmative Action, 750 First Street, NE, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20002. 

John Fredrick Steinman Fellowship

This scholarship is available to individuals seeking advanced study in social work. For information write to: John F. Steinman Foundation, 8 West King St., Lancaster, PA 17603. 

Verne LaMarr Lyons Scholarship

NASW has established a scholarship to honor the memory of Verne LaMarr Lyons. The scholarship will continue his interests in improving health care in African American communities through the training social workers. Priority will be given to a candidate who has demonstrated a commitment to working with or has an affinity with the black community. For an application write to: NASW Research and Education Fund; Verne Lyons Scholarship Committee; 750 First Street, NE, Suite 700; Washington, DC 2002. 

The Graham and Jean Sanford Center for Aging

This scholarship is offered to foster greater awareness of aging issues and encourage more students to pursue careers in gerontology and geriatrics. The new Sanford Scholarships provide $2,500 for undergraduates and $5,000 for graduate students. All interested applicants must be full-time students with demonstrated financial need. Undergraduate sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible to apply if they have a 3.25 GPA; graduate students must have a 3.5 GPA. For more details, please see their website at: Sanford Center for Aging or contact the Sanford Center for Aging at  (775) 784-1801.

Soroptimist International of Truckee Meadows Jack Simon Graduate Scholarship

This $3,500 scholarship is awarded annually to a female graduate student at the University of Nevada, Reno. Applicants should submit college transcripts from all colleges attended plus three current letters of recommendation, preferably from teachers, employers or someone who has worked very closely with the applicant. For more information write to: SITM Education Committee, P.O. Box 20125, Reno, NV, 89515.

Soroptimist International of Truckee Meadows Undergraduate & Graduate Scholarship Fund

Nancy Gomes-Mary Gojack Memorial Scholarships are awarded annually to women returning to school--women who have interrupted academic studies because of family or other considerations and now wish to continue the pursuit of college degrees. Decisions for awards will be based on financial need, family situations, goals, and scholarship. To be eligible for this scholarship, students must be enrolled full-time. Contact Soroptomist International of Truckee Meadows, P.O. Box 20125, Reno, NV 89515. 

Cavanaugh Community Volunteer Award

All students who are active community volunteers are invited to apply for the $1000 Cavanaugh Community Volunteer Award. Application forms are available in the Division of Health Sciences, Sarah Fleischmann Building, Room 100. 

Henry Albert Senior Public Service Award

These awards go to students who have distinguished themselves in public service, on or off campus, throughout their undergraduate college career. Nominations are due in March. The award is presented each year to no more than four graduating seniors at the "Honor the Best" ceremony in May. Each recipient will receive a $500 award. Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of nominees can be submitted by calling (775) 784-4177. 

Outstanding Graduate Student Scholarship

The Graduate Student Association of the University of Nevada , Reno offers several scholarships for outstanding, full-time graduate students. These awards are based strictly upon academic involvement, scholarly merit, professional development, and community involvement during the applicant's tenure as a University of Nevada, Reno graduate student. For current information, please visit: The Graduate School.

The Trellis Foundation

The Trellis Foundation is a non-profit business whose purpose is to support growth in the lesbian community in the areas of education, business, research, public affairs, and the arts. The Trellis program provides economic support to lesbians attending school, starting businesses, pursuing research, seeking office and creating art. This foundation will award educational scholarships, grants, and loans to aid lesbians in furthering their education or vocational skills or who are attending seminars, workshops, or conferences. All applicants must be lesbian and provide a statement of estimated expenses. For more information write to: The Trellis Foundation, P.O. Box 33004, Reno, NV 89533.

Nevada Womens Fund (NWF)

NWF is a publicly supported community foundation established to raise and allocate monies to Nevada's women and children. The amounts to be awarded will range from $500 and up and may be used for academic study or vocational training. For more information write to: Nevada Women's Fund, 770 Smithridge Dr, Ste 300, Reno, NV 89502, www.nevadawomensfund.org, or call (775) 786-2335.

American Association of University Women (AAUW)

The AAUW awards over two million dollars annually in scholarships and grants for formal academic study, individual research, and community action projects to address education and equity for women and girls. Write or call the AAUW Education Foundation at P.O. Box 4030, Iowa City, IA 52243-4030, (319) 337-1716, Fax (319) 337-1204.

Women's Research & Education Institute's Fellowship Program (WREIF)

For information write to: WREIF, 1700 18th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009, or call (202) 328-7070. 

National Scholarship Research Service (NSRS)

NSRS is a service that provides a personal database search of existing scholarships. There is a $75 fee for this service. Contact NSRS, 2280 Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa, CA 95403, (707) 546-6777. 

Additional Financial Aid Information

Several part-time, research/teaching assistantships for graduate students are available in the School of Social Work. To apply see information included in the admissions packet. There are also a limited number of field internships with stipends. To learn more about these, please contact the Field Education Program Coordinator in the School of Social Work. 

For more information visit the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships for University scholarships and schedules.