David Rondel earned his Ph.D. from the department of philosophy at McMaster University in 2009, having written a dissertation on John Rawls and liberal theories of equality. His areas of research specialization include egalitarianism, theories of distributive justice, Marx and Marxism, and, increasingly, American pragmatist political theory (particularly the work of William James, John Dewey, and Richard Rorty).
David has published widely in these areas. His essays have appeared, among other places, in The Journal of Philosophical Research, The Journal of Speculative Philosophy, Dialogue, Southwest Philosophical Review, and Socialist Studies. He is also co-editor of a volume of professor Kai Nielsen's political-philosophical essays, published under University of Calgary Press (2012).
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Philosophy of Law
- Ethics (theoretical and applied)
- American Pragmatism
- History of ethics and political philosophy
- Philosophy of art/aesthetics
- Philosophy 101.1001 — Introduction to Philosophy
- Philosophy 101.1002 — Introduction to Philosophy
- Philosophy 457/657 — Political Philosophy
Selected and Recent Publications
- "The Moral Consequences of the End of Art." In Between Histories: Art's Dilemma and Trajectories, ed. Vladimir L. Marchenkov. New York: Hampton, 2014, pp. 13-24.
- "Raz on Authority and Democracy." Dialogue: Canadian Philosophical Review 51, no.2 (2012). pp. 211-230.
- "Deweyan Democracy Defended." Southwest Philosophy Review 28, no.1 (2012). pp. 197-207.
- "G.A. Cohen and the Logic of Egalitarian Congruence." Socialist Studies 8, no.1 (2012). pp. 82-100.
- "Anti-authoritarianism, Meliorism, and Cultural Politics: On the Deweyan Deposit in Rorty's Pragmatism." Pragmatism Today: The Journal of the Central-European Pragmatist Forum 2, no.1 (2011). pp. 56-67.
- "On Rorty's Evangelical Metaphilosophy." Philosophy & Rhetoric 44, no.2 (2011). pp. 150-170.
- "Liberalism, Ethnocentrism, and Solidarity: Reflections on Rorty." Journal of Philosophical Research 34 (2009). pp. 55-68.
- "Equality, Luck, and Pragmatism." Journal of Speculative Philosophy 21, no.2 (2007). pp. 115-123.
- "An Interview with Richard Rorty." (With Alexander Livingston and Mario Wenning) Gnosis 8, no.1 (2006). pp. 54-59.
- Ph.D., McMaster University, 2009