About the Department of Philosophy
Founder of the Department
Reuben Cyril Thompson (1878-1951), educated at McMinnville (now Linfield) College and at Harvard, came to the University of Nevada in 1908, initially as an instructor in Latin and Greek, but by 1915 he had become a full professor of philosophy—and the head of a new department. Serving also as dean of men (from 1932 onwards), he retired from the university in 1948 after a distinguished career. In 1959, the Thompson Building on the University of Nevada, Reno campus was named in his honor.