Managing human resources can be challenging for small businesses under the best of circumstances, let alone the events of the past year. To help small businesses with current human resources issues and give tips on how to better use technology to help with human resources tasks, University of Nevada, Reno Extension will hold two online town halls, on March 3 for English speakers, and March 10 for Spanish speakers. In addition to experts from Extension and the Small Business Administration, executives from TPC Payroll HR Consultants will be special guests on the panel.
TPC Payroll HR Consultants is a Las Vegas-headquartered consulting, human resources, payroll, taxation and business management solutions company. Kimberly Miles, president and founder, and Bill Cleland, chief operating officer, will talk about a variety of important human resources issues and functions, including the hiring process, branding the employee experience, and how to use technology to improve efficiency in all areas of human resources.
“Properly managing human resources is one of the most important, and most challenging, aspects of running a small business,” said Buddy Borden, economic development specialist with Extension’s Business Development Program. “Our recent economic downturn has only complicated and increased these challenges for small business owners. But, we have experts who can help guide them and introduce them to methods and technologies that can help them now, and into the future.”
In addition to the online town halls, Extension will also offer two free webinars early in March, an English-language session focusing on cash flow, income, expenses and taxes on March 5, and a Spanish-language session on live-streaming for business on March 12.
Extension has been offering a series of online town halls and webinars for small businesses, “Coping With COVID-19,” since April 2020, to help entrepreneurs and businesses plan strategically, adapt and succeed. Details on sessions for the next two weeks are as follows:
The town hall, “Moving Forward with Technology in Human Resources,” is at 9 a.m., Wednesday, March 3, for English speakers; and at 9 a.m., Wednesday, March 10 for Spanish speakers. Panelists include:
- From TPC Payroll HR Consultants – Kimberly Miles, president and founder (March 3 session); and Bill Cleland, chief operating officer (March 10 session)
- From the Small Business Administration – Alfredo Cedeno Jr., outreach and marketing specialist
- From Extension – Reyna Mendez and Juan Salas, business development instructors; and Mike Bindrup, research associate
The English-language webinar, “Cash Flow, Income, Expenses and Taxes,” is Friday, March 5, at 9 a.m. Salas will discuss:
- The sections of a Cash Flow statement.
- The importance and limitations of the Cash Flow statement
- How to plan for tax compliance events, and how they will affect cash flow and profits
- How to address problem-solving situations in Cash Flow analysis
- A practical example of applying concepts and recommendations
The Spanish-language webinar, “Live-Streaming for Business,” will be held Friday, March 12, at 9 a.m. Mendez will discuss:
- The importance of live streaming for a business
- Creating a script prior to going live
- Types of live streaming
- Useful tips to go live effectively: light, connectivity and sound
Both the town halls and the webinars usually run about an hour. To register:
- The March 3, 9 a.m., English-language town hall.
- The March 5, 9 a.m., English-language webinar.
- The March 10, 9 a.m., Spanish-language town hall.
- The March 12, 9 a.m., Spanish-language webinar.
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance should call at least three days prior to the scheduled event. For more information, go to the Extension Business Development Program website. There are also other resources at the website to assist businesses during the COVID-19 crisis. For more information, email Borden.