Individuals wanting a deeper understanding of the science behind backyard gardening in northern Nevada are invited to attend University of Nevada, Reno Extension’s virtual Home Horticulture Certificate Program, provided by Extension’s Master Gardeners in Washoe County. Participants will learn from Extension faculty and staff, and from experienced horticulturalists.
“This series has been designed for homeowners looking to advance their horticulture knowledge,” said Rachel Hbrook-McClure, Master Gardener coordinator for Washoe County, who helped coordinate the series. “The classes cover the basics of homeowner needs for gardening.”
Classes will take place on Zoom from 1 to 4 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 18 – Sept. 15.
- 18: Lay of the Land & Plants of the Nevada Landscape
- 20: Native Plants
- 25: Water Efficiency in the Landscape
- 27: Turf & Landscape Grasses
- 1: Gardening in Nevada’s Soils
- 3: Potting Media & Container Gardening
- 8: Critters & Nuisance Pests
- 10: Integrated Pest Management & Lower Risk Pest Control
- 15: Testing for Home Horticulture
The cost is $135 and includes course materials, supplies and technology fees. Space is limited. Preregister before Aug. 11 online at the Home Horticulture Series registration page or by emailing Hbrook-McClure.