Extension is offering an online town hall and a webinar this week to help inform small business owners of resources available to them, and how using streaming video may help them to market their businesses. Wednesday’s town hall will focus on resources available to help small businesses get started and survive, including the Small Business Stabilization Forgivable Loan Program, loan applications and approval. Friday’s webinar will focus on how live streaming videos can help market a business, and the dos and don’ts of creating them. Both the town hall and the webinar are free, and there will be English-language and Spanish-language sessions.
The events are part of a series of town halls and webinars for small businesses, “Coping With COVID-19,” being offered each week. The town halls begin with a presentation on a given topic, and then participants network with one another and drive the discussion. The webinars provide information on specific topics to help entrepreneurs and businesses plan strategically, adapt and succeed. This week’s sessions include:
- The town hall, “Finding Funding and Better Planning: Small Business Resources,” is Wednesday, Aug. 12, at 9 a.m. for English speakers, and at 2 p.m. for Spanish speakers. Panelists include:
- From the City of North Las Vegas, Rick Damian housing and neighborhood services manager
- From Prestamos, Noe Gonzalez, business advisor
- From the Small Business Administration – Saul Ramos, deputy district director (9 a.m. session); and Alfredo Cedeño, outreach/marketing specialist (2 p.m. session)
- From Extension – Reyna Mendez and Juan Salas, business development instructors; and Mike Bindrup, research associate
- The webinar, “Live Streaming for Business,” will be held Friday, Aug. 14, at 9 a.m. for English speakers, and at 11:30 a.m. for Spanish speakers. Mendez and Bindrup will discuss:
- The importance of live streaming for a small business
- How and when a small business needs to go live
- Creating a script prior to going live
- Types of live streaming and different platforms
- Useful tips for going live effectively: light, connectivity, sound and framing
“Live streaming is often more advantageous than simply creating videos, if the business owner knows when to go live and why,” said Buddy Borden, economic development specialist with Extension’s Business Development Program. “It can be a very effective marketing tool for businesses just starting out, and for existing businesses looking for new ways to market themselves. So, this week’s webinar will provide the basics for those who may want to give it a try.”
Both the town halls and the webinars usually run about an hour. To register:
- Register for the Aug. 12, 9 a.m., English-language town hall.
- Register for the Aug. 12, 2 p.m., Spanish-language town hall.
- Register for the Aug. 14, 9 a.m., English-language webinar.
- Register for the Aug. 14, 11:30 a.m., Spanish-language webinar.
For more information, go to the Extension Business Development Program website. There are also other resources at the website to assist businesses during the COVID-19 crisis. For more information, email Borden.