Over the past 100 years, thousands of Asian Pacific Islander students have studied in University of Nevada classrooms, cheered for the Wolf Pack at Mackay Stadium, and celebrated upon graduating from the University of Nevada, Reno.
In May 2008, the idea to start an alumni chapter for Asian Pacific Islanders was proposed to a small group of graduates and soon-to-be graduates. With the desire to maintain relationships and continue networking with Asian Pacific Islander graduates, the idea received resounding support. Shortly after, the API Alumni Chapter was born.
The API Alumni Chapter of the University of Nevada, Reno is an Alumni Chapter dedicated to the understanding of Asian and Pacific Islander awareness in our community. We are dedicated to building lasting relationships through shared experiences while furthering Asian Pacific Islander culture. We strive to dispel negative Asian Pacific Islander stereotypes through education and outreach within the community.
Our goal is to provide support in all areas of cultural awareness involving the University of Nevada, Reno and its constituents. The API Alumni Chapter incorporates the values of the University of Nevada, Reno while promoting well-being, advocacy, opportunities and growth through volunteering, communication and outreach in the Asian Pacific Islander Community.
The API Alumni Chapter has developed the following goals to achieve our purpose and mission in serving and supporting the University of Nevada's API Alumni community.
- Promote Asian Pacific Islander awareness by celebrating the achievements and success of alumni members
- Develop career resources for new, mid-level and senior members
- Create a mentoring program for new members and other special groups
- Generate scholarships for high school and college students (undergraduate and graduate)
- Provide opportunities to network and build professional/personal relationships through social events and activities
- Support Asian Pacific Islander student organizations on campus
- Create local community service and outreach opportunities
- Develop Fundraising to financially support the API alumni organization and contribute to the efforts of the University of Nevada, Reno Alumni Office
- Recruit Asian Pacific Islander students to attend the University of Nevada, Reno
- Support the mission and goals of University of Nevada, Reno and the University of Nevada, Reno Alumni Office
Statement of non-discrimination: The University of Nevada, Reno Asian Pacific Islander Alumni Chapter does not discriminate in practice or intent on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation.
Official Eligibility: Any individual who is a graduate of the University of Nevada, Reno shall be eligible for membership for $25 a year.
Rights of Membership: All members will have a duty to promote the growth and welfare of the chapter. It is the right of all members to vote.
This alumni chapter is for you and about you! We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about this chapter, check us out on the API Facebook page or join the API chapter online.
Help the API Chapter support Nevada students by donating to our scholarship. Your assistance is appreciated!
President: Kamil Shankar '15 M.S.