What is the Peavine Wellness Community?
The three major things that make Peavine Hall different are:
- The "Wellness Theme" community that provides residents with an opportunity to place a priority on health and wellness topics that intersect with the daily lives of college students.
- The residents will develop a personal wellness challenge with goals that fall within the 7 dimensions of Wellness.
- The programs and activities in the building will be focused on the 7 dimensions of Wellness. Each dimension will be the focus of a 2-3 week period during the academic year where students can explore how that dimension of wellness has an impact on them.
- Intellectual - learning through varied experiences
- Social - interacting with people of different ages, backgrounds, races, and lifestyles
- Spiritual - developing a positive perception of the meaning and purpose in life
- Environmental - awareness of the environment in which one works and lives
- Emotional - possession of a secure self-identity and positive sense of self-regard
- Physical - perception and expectation of physical health
- Occupational - finding satisfaction and worth in your work
- 5 stories
- Suite style living with two bedrooms and shared bath
- Individual rooms with private bath
- Single-sex by suite and bedroom
- Bathroom, shower, and vanities in each suite
- Television lounge and study rooms on every floor
- Laundry and vending facilities
- Front desk open 24 hours/day during academic sessions
- Wired and wireless internet connection in each room
- Sustainable LEED design
- Free in-room wireless internet
- Each resident has a single oak bed with 80" long mattress
- Each resident has a desk, chair, dresser, and closet or wardrobe
- Window coverings on all windows
Room and furniture dimensions
Click to enlarge.
Explore Peavine Hall
Click thumbnail to open larger image in new tab.
Do I have to participate in the wellness challenge if I live in Peavine Hall?
Yes, each student will participate in a wellness challenge which is meant to be a self-directed journey towards your own idea of wellness.
How does the wellness challenge process work?
- During opening floor meetings, you will be introduced to the 7 dimensions of wellness and determine your personal wellness challenge.
- During the first two weeks of the fall semester, you will sign up for a small group meeting with a student staff member and several other members of your community. This small group will become your wellness team.
- You will meet with your wellness team periodically throughout the academic year to set and review your personal goals. Your wellness team is there for you to challenge and support each other in your progress towards personal wellness.
What if I don't want to participate in the wellness challenge?
As it is a requirement of living in this specific community, please consider living in one of our other wonderful halls if you don't wish to challenge yourself in this way.
Who checks on my challenge?
Professional and student staff will work with you throughout the year helping you to achieve your wellness goals.
What if I don't achieve all of the goals of my wellness challenge?
We hope that students challenge themselves enough that they may not be able to meet all the terms of their self-challenge. The wellness challenge is a commitment to trying to better oneself. The hall staff and your wellness team will support and challenge your growth and encourage you to set new goals regularly.
Are there required programs to attend?
Monthly community meetings are required in all our halls, but there are no specific wellness programs that require attendance. However, we hope that you will take advantage of many of the programs and activities that will be available to you in the hall.
Is this a substance-free hall?
No – BUT the campus is tobacco free, and students must all be 21 or older to drink in a room, which makes all of our first year buildings mostly substance free (there are extremely few first year students who are 21).