Funding & Assistantships
Paying for Graduate School
There are multiple funding sources you should explore when determining how to fund your graduate school experience. Funding can also come from outside scholarships, such as those offered by the Graduate Student Association.
Consider your graduate school education an investment in your career and academic interests. Below you will find links to more information on funding your graduate education at the University.
Like most research universities, the cost of the attendance at Nevada depends on the type of degree a student wishes to pursue.
Graduate Student General Scholarship
The Graduate Student General Scholarship amount for Fall 2016/Spring 2017 is $5,000 ($2,500 per semster).
Nomination Procedures: The degree-seeking graduate student must be nominated by either their graduate program director or their major advisor/committee chair. To be complete, all nominations must include:
- A letter of intent from the student (1 page is adequate)
- A letter of support from the student's graduate program director or major advisor/committee chair (1 page is adequate).
The eligibility criteria for these scholarships are:
- Student must have completed the 2016-17 Graduate and Undergraduate Scholarship Application within MyNevada, unless the student was admitted for the Fall 2016 or Spring 2017 semester, then their admission substitutes for filling out this application.
- In good academic standing (3.0 or greater GPA)
- Must be enrolled in at least 6 graduate credits
- Not currently on an assistantship
- U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, and students with DACA status
The student’s letter of intent should include the following:
- Very brief description of the student’s background and undergraduate educational experiences
- Current graduate program and degree sought
- Notable accomplishments as a graduate student
- Graduation and career goals
- How funds would assist student in improving the quality of their graduate work and/or in completing their graduate program
Completed nominations must be submitted through the online form by Monday, September 19, 2016 at 5:00 pm.