Social Work volunteer opportunities
Service is one of the core values embraced in the Code of Ethics by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). All social workers are encouraged to aspire to the following ethical principle:
Social workers' primary goal is to help people in need and to address social problems.
Social workers elevate service to others above self interest. Social workers draw on their knowledge, values, and skills to help people in need and to address social problems. Social workers are encouraged to volunteer some portion of their professional skills with no expectation of significant financial return (pro bono service). (NASW Code of Ethics)
Example social work volunteer opportunities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Nevada. Volunteer as a Big Brother or Big Sister just one-hour a week and change the life of an at-risk child in our community.
- Communities In Schools of Western Nevada. Volunteer for dropout prevention in Washoe County Schools.
- IChangePeru. Volunteer with IChangePeru for a summer working with local populations.
- Trauma Intervention Program. Volunteer as an emergency response crisis team member in Washoe County (TIP).
- Volunteers of America/ReStart. Volunteers of America/ReStart oversees a variety of programming designed to accommodate the needs of at-risk populations in and around Washoe County, including the homeless, the mentally ill, and low-income seniors.