School of Social Work Scholarships
The School of Social Work at the University of Nevada, Reno, offers scholarships to juniors, seniors, and graduate students admitted to the social work program. Scholarship awards and criteria are listed below.
To be considered for any institutional scholarship including departmental scholarships, continuing UNR students must complete the scholarship application in MyNEVADA: go to > Student Center > Supplemental Forms > Scholarship Application. Students are not eligible candidates for Department Scholarships without a Graduate & Undergraduate Scholarship application on file.
To be eligible for consideration for scholarships which require financial need, by February 1st annually students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov and include federal school code 002568; University of Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV. Students not eligible to complete the FAFSA (such as international students or students with DACA status), may complete the Financial Aid Calculation for Non-FAFSA Eligible Students form by March 1st annually.
A sample of available scholarships for social work students are:
- The Alicia Smalley Scholarship Eligible candidates must be baccalaureate seniors in their final year or master's degree students in Social Work. Candidates must also have financial need. Recipients must earn a minimum of 24 undergraduate or 18 graduate UNR credits per academic year (fall and spring semester) and maintain a minimum 2.75 UNR Grade Point Average (GPA) for the duration of the award. Preference will be given to a student that has an abiding interest in social justice and demonstrated financial need.
- The John and Louise Semenza Family Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate (junior or senior) or graduate student who plans a career in practice within public agencies that serve special needs populations. Eligible candidates must earn a minimum of 24 undergraduate or 12 graduate UNR credits per academic year (fall and spring semesters) and maintain full-time enrollment each semester.
- The Kris Tower Scholarship Eligible candidates must be admitted to the School of Social Work as an undergraduate or graduate student. Recipients must earn a minimum of 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits per academic year (fall and spring semesters) and maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative UNR GPA for the duration of the award. Preference will be given to a promising undergraduate or graduate student interested in working with persons with disabilities.
- The Heather Morsberger Memorial Scholarship is available to undergraduate (junior or senior) and graduate students in social work with an emphasis in child abuse prevention or child abuse protection who can demonstrate a financial need. Eligible candidates must earn a minimum of 24 University of Nevada, Reno, undergraduate or 12 graduate credits per academic year (fall and spring semesters). Recipients must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative UNR GPA for the duration of the award.
- The Barbara West Larsen Founders Scholarship Eligible candidates must be admitted to the School of Social Work as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student and maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- The John Gancarek Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate social work student with an interest to work within child welfare or juvenile justice. A minimum GPA of 2.75 must be maintained, must have demonstrated need of financial aid.