The Bachelor of Social Work curriculum gives students a rich overview of subjects that inform modern social work practice, such as social work research, micro and mezzo systems, human development and social welfare history.
BSW admission requirements
Students who meet the following requirements may apply for admission to the professional sequence:
- Complete Core Objective requirements. Complete University Core Objectives 1-8, Major Requirements: PSY 101, SOC 101, PSY 341, HDFS 201 and an additional CO10 outside of social work.
- Meet GPA requirements. Maintain an overall grade-point average of 2.5 or higher (exceptions may occasionally be considered for students who do not meet the GPA requirement, but in the professional judgment of the faculty demonstrate exceptional potential for social work through strong community service and/or leadership experiences)
- Complete Social Work requirements. Complete SW 101, SW 250, SW 310, and SW 321 with a grade of C or higher in each course; and have completed or enrolled in SW 311, SW 351, Core Objective 10, and Core Objective 13 (must be completed before being admitted into the BSW program and beginning the professional sequence.
- Be admitted to the University. Applied and have been admitted to the University of Nevada, Reno.
If you have questions regarding BSW program prerequisites, please email the BSW advising staff.
BSW application deadline
The application deadline for admission to the professional sequence is Jan. 15 (for the following fall semester).
Should Jan. 15 fall on a weekend or holiday, all completed application packets must be received by the School of Social Work office by the end of business (5 p.m. PST) the last weekday before Jan. 15.
Admission decisions occur during spring semester and students accepted into the major begin 400-level Social Work courses the following fall semester.
How to apply
- Complete application. Submit the BSW program application, including required essays and unofficial transcripts by the application deadline. All applications must be completed online.
- Submit recommendations. Have two official recommendations submitted by the application deadline. All references must use the recommendation form and must be completed and submitted by the recommender. Individuals completing the recommendations should not share their recommendations with the applicant.
Start an application
Complete your online application to the BSW program.
3+1 program for students in rural Nevada
In collaboration with Great Basin College (GBC), the University of Nevada's School of Social Work also offers a 3 + 1 program for students who reside in rural Nevada and wish to pursue a BSW degree. Through this program, students are able to complete the equivalent of the first two and a half to three of academic study at GBC and their final year through the University.
Students in this program will be able to complete most of the University and Departmental Core through GBC. Upon being accepted to the University of Nevada, Reno, and the professional sequence, students will complete their final coursework — no less than 36 credits — through the University. The professional sequence courses will be offered via a combination of online courses, face-to-face weekend labs and field internships.
Review the BSW program handbook for more information on curriculum, policies, resources and more.
Email the advising department for more information.
State licensure requirements
Review state licensure information.