Ian M. Hartshorn received his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in political science and his Bachelor of Arts degree from Bucknell University in religion and Middle East studies.
His research focuses on the politics of labor and migration both internationally and domestically, with a focus on the recent transitions in the Arab Middle East broadly and Egypt and Tunisia specifically. He has several ongoing research projects looking at the strategic decisions made by trade unionists, the role of global labor in affecting transitions to and from authoritarianism and the process of refugee resettlement in the United States.
- Comparative politics
- International relations
- Middle East studies
- Comparative and international politics of labor
- Religion and politics
- Contentious politics
- Political science pedagogy
- International migration and refugee resettlement
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Pennsylvania, 2015
- M.A., Political Science, University of Pennsylvania, 2012
- B.A., Religion and Middle East Studies, Bucknell University, 2007