With assistance for small businesses related to the pandemic constantly changing, many of Nevada’s small businesses are finding it hard to keep up with what assistance is available, as well as the requirements and how to apply. Extension is offering a free webinar June 19 to help small-business owners learn about one form of assistance, the Paycheck Protection Plan. Developments will be discussed by Prestamos, an organization that works alongside the Small Business Administration to assist business owners and provide incentives for them to keep their staff on the payroll as we persist through and emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic. The session is part of a series of webinars and town halls for small businesses being offered each week, in English and in Spanish. The question-and-answer “Coping With COVID-19 Town Halls” are held every Wednesday, and webinars on specific topics are held every Friday.
This week’s sessions include:
- The town hall, Wednesday, June 17, 9 a.m. for English speakers and at 2 p.m. for Spanish speakers. Panelists include:
- Brenda Gayle Bryant, certified financial coach and trainer
- Saul Ramos, Small Business Administration deputy director
- Reyna Mendez, Extension business development instructor
- Juan Salas, Extension business development instructor
- Mike Bindrup, Extension research associate
- The webinar, “Loan Forgiveness and COVID-19: Navigating Eligibility and Repayment With Prestamos,” Friday, June 19, 9 a.m. for English speakers and at 11:30 a.m. for Spanish speakers. Mendez, Salas and Bindrup will be joined by Noe Gonzalez, Prestamos business advisor, and they will discuss:
- The application and qualifications for loan forgiveness, including payroll costs, interest on mortgages, rent, utilities and recordkeeping
- Rates of reduction
- Self-employed business qualifications for loan forgiveness
The town halls begin with a short presentation on a given topic or a preview of the Friday webinar. Then, the participants network with one another and drive the discussion, with a panel of professionals and educators helping them troubleshoot challenges they are encountering. The Friday webinars provide information on specific topics to help businesses plan strategically, adapt and succeed.
“It’s very difficult for business owners to keep up with the constantly changing and evolving assistance programs and their requirements,” said Buddy Borden, economic development specialist with Extension’s Business Development Program. “We want to help make sure our business owners in Nevada stay informed and don’t miss out on assistance available to them. We want their business to survive and come out of this even stronger, and be more prepared for challenges like this in the future.”
Both the town halls and the webinars are free, and usually run about an hour. Visit one of the links below to register.
- Registration for the June 17 English-language town hall.
- Registration for the June 17 Spanish-language town hall.
- Registration for the June 19 English-language webinar.
- Registration for the June 19 Spanish-language webinar.
For more information, go to the Extension Business Development Program website. There are also other resources at the website to assist businesses during the COVID-19 crisis. For more information, email Borden.