The Reynolds School of Journalism 2019 Savitt Awards Banquet celebrated the past year's accomplishments of students and faculty on May 9, 2019. During the event, guests enjoyed dinner and congratulated award winners and scholarship recipients.
Dean Al Stavitsky opened the evening by thanking the late Ella Savitt, who created the endowment that funds this yearly event with her husband, Sol. She had a passion for education and cherished this banquet. The Savitt family has supported several scholarships, graduate assistantships and facilities for Reynolds School students as well. Dean Stavitsky also raised his glass to Jackie Leonard, whose support also makes the event possible.
After guests visited with each other over dinner, Dean Stavitsky announced more than 40 scholarships that were awarded to students during the 2018-2019 academic year. Professor Patrick File then inducted nine students into Kappa Tau Alpha, the Reynolds School’s student honors society, and professor Bob Felten followed by inducting two students into Alpha Delta Sigma, a national honor society that encourages scholastic achievement in advertising studies.
Dean Stavitsky announced the 2019 Edward. W. Scripps Scholars and the senior scholars for the academic year. Then, professors presented individual outstanding student awards, recognizing students for their excellence in the following fields: advertising, electronic media, new media, news, public relations, strategic communications, visual journalism, business journalism, graduate student, writing, best-published article and First Amendment. Lastly, professor Bob Felten, who will retire this semester, was awarded the Nevada Semenza Teaching Award.
Find the full list of student awardees below.
Kappa Tau Alpha Inductees
- Taylor Avery
- Lexia Brockett
- Amanda Clark
- Abigail Denny
- Benjamin Engel
- Alejandra Horwitz
- Tamara Snight
Alpha Delta Sigma Inductees
- Alissa Bremner
- Daniel Lang
- Caitlin Rierson, December 2018
- Daniel Lang, May 2019
Outstanding Student Awards
- James Fasules Advertising: Alissa Bremner
- Doris Sinofsky Electronic Media: Karina Gonzalez
- New Media: Carla Suggs
- Kieste Janulis News: Karolina Rivas
- Public Relations: Mikaella Alvarez
- AAF Strategic Communications: Lizbeth Alvarez
- Marilyn Newton Visual Journalism: Jana Sayson
- Reynolds Business Journalism: Kirk Geller
- Graduate Student: Robert Apiyo
- Robert Laxalt Distinguished Writer Award: Jazmin Orozco-Rodriguez
- Lerude First Amendment Award: Madeline Purdue
- Steve Martarano Best Published Article Award: Lucia Starbuck