Nevada Football returns to Mackay Stadium this Saturday to play Boise State. In preparation for the football game, many new and exciting events were planned for Homecoming week.
The week kicked off Monday night with the Homecoming Pageant. Students and visitors gathered to watch their favorite contestants compete in a variety of events including lipsync battles and a talent show. The Homecoming Queen and King will be announced on the field during Saturday's game.
The blood drive followed with the goal of obtaining 150 pints of blood. Every donation was roughly one pint, which is enough to save as many as three people's lives. The Pack may have saved hundreds of lives Wednesday during the drive showing the community that this community proudly bleeds, "Omnia Pro Patria," silver and blue.
Wolf Pack supporters can still show their Silver & Blue pride at the remaining homecoming week events:
- Men’s Basketball Silver & Blue Scrimmage (Thursday, Oct. 11, 5:30-6:45 p.m., Virginia Street Gym)
- Homecoming Gala - RSVP required (Thursday, Oct. 11, 6 p.m., Joe Crowley Student Union, Milt Glick Ballrooms)
- Howl Fest (Thursday, Oct. 11, 7-10 p.m., Joe Crowley Student Union, Gateway Plaza)
- Women’s Soccer Fan Fest (Friday, Oct. 12, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center lawn)
- Football Game: Nevada Wolf Pack vs. Boise State Broncos (Saturday, Oct. 13, 7:30 p.m. kick-off, Mackay Stadium)
The first annual Howl Fest provides a fun-filled atmosphere with games, food, music and entertainment, including participants from the Nevada football and basketball teams.
According to tradition, alumni members of the Marching Band are invited back to play at homecoming. After dedicated rehearsals this week, alumni and current members of the Pride of the Sierra will play together during the football game Saturday.
To honor the memory of Kiara Donahue Wolf, an alumnus of the Pride of the Sierra and the coordinator of the Nevada Alumni Band for nearly 15 years, a new scholarship has been established. Upon Wolf's passing in 2014, the Nevada Alumni Association dedicated that year's homecoming week to her. This scholarship is created to honor her memory and her dedication to the Nevada Alumni Band.