The Truckee Meadows now has a full-time radio station dedicated to classical music and jazz. Listener-supported KNCJ at 89.5 FM - a sister-station to KUNR at 88.7 FM - serves Reno and Sparks with 24-hour classical music on weekdays and jazz on weekend evenings.
"After months of anticipation, KNCJ is now a reality and a refreshing new spot on the dial at 89.5 FM," KUNR General Manager David Stipech said.
KNCJ programming includes:
- Classical music from American Public Media's C24 service daily.
- Jazz programming on Friday and Saturday evening and overnight.
- Reno Public Radio's local jazz show, "Saturday Night Jazz," 6 to 10 p.m. on Saturday night, hosted by northern Nevada's own Dallas Smith and Scot Marshall.
- NPR's "From the Top" showcasing top young classical musicians at 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and Sundays.
- "Sunday Baroque" on Sunday morning from 8 a.m. to noon.
- "The Metropolitan Opera" broadcast live from New York on Saturday mornings as the new season returns Dec. 3.
"As KUNR began sharing plans with the community about the prospect of the new station for classical music, jazz and The Met, the excitement was strong and immediate," Stipech said. "As audience and funding grows over time, we'd like to add more content highlighting the talents of our local and university community."
KNCJ's coverage area is primarily in the Reno-Sparks valley, yet listeners report they can receive the signal while traveling for several miles out of the area. KNCJ also streams online and on mobile devices for listeners everywhere at KNJC.org.
Thanks to the contributions of individuals and generous grants from The E.L. Cord Foundation, The Robert Z. Hawkins Foundation and The Roxie and Azad Joseph Foundation, KUNR secured startup costs for equipment and engineering for the new station.
KUNR is the NPR-member station broadcasting from the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno since 1963. It serves northern Nevada and a several Nevada and California communities with local news, information, music and entertainment. Like KUNR, KNCJ is licensed to the Board of Regents; KNCJ broadcasts from the KUNR studios.
KUNR and KNCJ are also now offering Sunday Jazz at RLT, a new, once-a-month event featuring two hours of live, local jazz. Co-sponsored by For the Love of Jazz, it takes place at Reno Little Theater, 147 Pueblo Street. Seating is limited; for tickets, visit KUNR.org or RenoLittleTheater.org.
Additionally, KUNR has launched a new, free iPhone and Android app to support live streaming of its local news content and NPR programs, which will soon feature KNCJ as well.