Dr. Perera’s research broadly focuses on Supply Chain Management, Disruptive Technologies in Operations Management, Healthcare Operations Management, Financial Engineering, and interfaces between Operations and the other functional areas in business. He has worked collaboratively with hospitals, blood banks, pharmaceutical companies, and retailers for his research and his work has appeared in prestigious journals such as Production and Operations Management (Financial Times' Top 50 Journal), European Journal of Operational Research, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Annals of Operations Research, International Journal of Production Economics, Operations Research Letters, Quantitative Finance, and Journal of the Operational Research Society. Before joining the College of Business (COB), Dr. Perera was affiliated with the Flint School of Management (SOM) and the Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS) at the University of Michigan. He has received multiple research awards and grants including the Financial Services Section Best Research Paper Award (Second Place) from the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), Beta Gamma Sigma Junior Faculty Researcher Award from the COB, and the Outstanding Faculty Award for Research from the SOM. He currently serves as an associate editor for Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review and on the editorial review boards of Production and Operations Management Journal and Decision Sciences Journal.
Dr. Perera has more than 18 years of teaching experience that spans over six different universities in three different countries. He has received several Golden Apple Awards for teaching excellence from the SOM at Michigan. He currently teaches courses on Global Supply Chain and Distribution Channel Management, Pricing, Revenue, and Predictive Analytics. He is also an active member of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS), and the Decision Sciences Institute (DSI). Dr. Perera has chaired research tracks/clusters of several international conferences including the annual conferences of the DSI and POMS, and the international meeting of the INFORMS.
- Ph.D., Operations Management, Jindal School of Management - The University of Texas at Dallas, 2015
- MBA, Jindal School of Management - The University of Texas at Dallas, 2014
- M.S., Supply Chain Management, Jindal School of Management - The University of Texas at Dallas, 2012
- Ph.D. level courses in Finance and Economics, University of Zurich - Switzerland, 2009-2010
- Ph.D., Financial Mathematics, Charles E. Schmidt College of Science - Florida Atlantic University, 2009
- M.S., Mathematics, Charles E. Schmidt College of Science - Florida Atlantic University, 2008
- M.S., Statistics and Applied Mathematics, Charles E. Schmidt College of Science - Florida Atlantic University, 2007
- B.S., Finance, Business and Computational Mathematics, University of Colombo - Sri Lanka, 2004