Michael H. Taylor is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Nevada, Reno and a State Specialist with University of Nevada Cooperative Extension. Dr. Taylor's research and outreach activities focus on several issues of critical importance for Nevada, including wildland fire, urban and agricultural water use, invasive plant management, public land management, and the role of natural resources in regional economic development.
Dr. Taylor's recent outreach activities include leading the development and implementation of a natural resource needs assessment survey for the Nevada Association of Conservation Districts and assisting in the development of a strategic plan for the native plant materials industry in Nevada as a member of the Nevada Native Seed Partnership.
- Zhong, H., M.H. Taylor, K. Rollins, D. Manning, and C. Goemans. Who Pays for Water Scarcity? Evaluating the Welfare Implications of Water Infrastructure Investments for Cities. Forthcoming in The Annals of Regional Science.
- Sisante, A., M.H. Taylor, and K. Rollins. Understanding Homeowners' Decisions to Mitigate Wildfire Risk and Create Defensible Space. Forthcoming in International Journal of Wildland Fire.
- Taylor, M.H., L. Christman, and K. Rollins. 2019. Selecting the Right Policy to Promote Defensible Space in the Wildland-Urban Interface: Evidence from Homeowners in Nevada. Land Economics 95 (4): 531-556.
- Taylor, M.H. 2019. Mitigating Wildfire Risk on Private Property with Spatial Dependencies. Strategic Behavior and the Environment 8: 1-31.
- Taylor, M.H., K. Rollins, and C. Lott. 2018. Exploring the Behavioral and Welfare Implications of Social-Comparison Messages in Residential Water and Electricity. Economics Letters 168: 65-69.
Selected Work in Progress
- Taylor, M.H. Non-Balanced Growth in the United States: Evaluating Supply-Side versus Demand-Side Explanations. Reject and Resubmit at Economic Modelling.
- Brent, D., C. Lott, M.H. Taylor, J. Cook, K. Rollins, and S. Stoddard. Are Behavioral Nudges Moral Taxes? Evidence from a Field Experiment on Water Conservation. In Review.
- Taylor, M. H., Bartholet, R. D., Banerjee, S. 2018. Recommendations for Increasing the Supply and Lowering the Cost of Native Plant Materials in Nevada through Strategic Support of the Native Plant Materials Industry. University Center for Economic Development Technical Report 2018/19-00.
- Johnson, S.R., M.D. Helmer, T.R. Harris, and M.H. Taylor. 2018. An Economic Analysis of Cattle Numbers and Feed Sources in the USDA Basin and Range Region. University Center for Economic Development Technical Report 2018/19-04.
- ECON 309: Natural Resource Economics.
- ECON 712: Microeconomic Theory II.
- Ph.D., University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- B.A., McGill University, Montréal, Canada