Frank M. Fossen is a Professor of Economics and the Charles N. Mathewson Professor in Entrepreneurship at the Department of Economics at the University of Nevada, Reno. He is also a Research Fellow of IZA. Before joining the University of Nevada, Reno in October 2016, he was an Assistant Professor of Public Economics at Freie Universität Berlin, Germany.
He received his Ph.D. in Economics with distinction in 2008 and his habilitation in 2015 from Freie Universität Berlin. Before, he had studied at University of Karlsruhe and University of Toronto.
Frank Fossen’s research covers the economics of entrepreneurship, public economics, labor economics, and applied microeconometrics. He has published more than 35 research articles in peer-reviewed journals, including Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, European Economic Review, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, and Journal of Financial Intermediation.
Refereed journal publications since 2020:
- Francesco Carbonero, Jeremy Davies, Ekkehard Ernst, Frank M. Fossen, Daniel Samaan, and Alina Sorgner (2023): “The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Labor Markets in Developing Countries: A New Method with an Illustration for Lao PDR and Urban Viet Nam,” Journal of Evolutionary Economics.
- Robert W. Fairlie, Frank M. Fossen, Reid Johnsen, and Gentian Droboniku (2022): “Were Small Businesses More Likely to Permanently Close in the Pandemic?,” Small Business Economics.
- Ege Can and Frank M. Fossen (2022): “The Enforceability of Non-Compete Agreements and Different Types of Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Utah and Massachusetts,” Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy 11(2/3), 223-252.
- Marco Caliendo, Frank M. Fossen, and Alexander S. Kritikos (2022): “Personality Characteristics and the Decision to Hire,” Industrial and Corporate Change 31(3), 736-761.
- Frank M Fossen, Daniel Samaan, and Alina Sorgner (2022): “How are Patented AI, Software and Robot Technologies Related to Wage Changes in the United States?” Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence 5.
- Robert W. Fairlie and Frank M. Fossen (2022): “The 2021 Paycheck Protection Program Reboot: Loan Disbursement to Employer and Nonemployer Businesses in Minority Communities,” AEA Papers and Proceedings 112, 287-291.
- Robert W. Fairlie and Frank M. Fossen (2022): “The Early Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Business Sales,” Small Business Economics 58(4), 1853-1864.
- Robert W. Fairlie and Frank M. Fossen (2022): “Did the Paycheck Protection Program and Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program Get Disbursed to Minority Communities in the Early Stages of COVID-19?” Small Business Economics 58(2), 829-842.
- Frank M. Fossen and Alina Sorgner (2022): “New Digital Technologies and Heterogeneous Wage and Employment Dynamics in the United States: Evidence from Individual-level Data,” Technological Forecasting and Social Change 175, 121381.
- Frank M. Fossen, Levent Neyse, Magnus Johannesson, and Anna Dreber (2022): “2D:4D and Self-Employment: A Preregistered Replication Study in a Large General Population Sample,” Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 46(1), 21-43.
- Frank M. Fossen (2021): “Self-employment over the Business Cycle in the USA: A Decomposition,” Small Business Economics 57, 1837-1855.
- Frank M. Fossen and Alina Sorgner (2021): “Digitalization of Work and Entry into Entrepreneurship,” Journal of Business Research 125, 548-563.
- Frank M. Fossen, Ray Rees, Davud Rostam-Afschar, and Viktor Steiner (2020): “The Effects of Income Taxation on Entrepreneurial Investment: A Puzzle?” International Tax and Public Finance 27(6), 1321-1363.
- Nadja Dwenger, Frank M. Fossen, and Martin Simmler (2020): “Firms' Financial and Real Responses to Credit Supply Shocks: Evidence from Firm-Bank Relationships in Germany,” Journal of Financial Intermediation 41(1).
Recent working papers:
- Levent Neyse, Frank M. Fossen, Magnus Johannesson, and Anna Dreber (2022): “Cognitive Reflection and 2D:4D: Evidence from a Large Population Sample,” available at SSRN.
- Frank M. Fossen, Md Mobarak Hossain, Sankar Mukhopadhyay, and Peter Toth (2021): “The Cost of Health Insurance and Entry into Entrepreneurship,” IZA Discussion Paper 14891.
- Frank M. Fossen and Stela Ivanova (2021): “Obesity and Self-Employment: Health and Social Mechanisms of the Transition to Self-Employment,” Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings (abstract).
- Frank M. Fossen, Johannes König, and Carsten Schröder (2020): “Risk Preference and Entrepreneurial Investment at the Top of the Wealth Distribution,” IZA Discussion Paper 13951.
Most of Frank Fossen's publications can be downloaded from Google Scholar or RePEc.
In the 2022 fall semester and the 2023 spring semester, I will be on research sabbatical leave and will not offer courses.
- ECON/ENT 473/673: Economics of Entrepreneurship (cross-listed undergraduate and graduate course)
- ECON 758: Empirical Public Economics (graduate course)
- ECON 102: Principles of Microeconomics (undergraduate course)
- ECON 743: Applied Microeconometric Methods (graduate course)
All syllabi and course materials are provided on WebCampus.