Frank M. Fossen is an Associate Professor of Economics and the Charles N. Mathewson Professor in Entrepreneurship at the Department of Economics at the University of Nevada, Reno. He is also a Research Fellow of IZA. Before joining UNR in October 2016, he was an Assistant Professor of Public Economics at Freie Universität Berlin, Germany.
He received his PhD in Economics with distinction in 2008 and his habilitation in 2015 from Freie Universität Berlin. Before, he had studied at University of Karlsruhe and University of Toronto.
Frank Fossen works primarily in the fields of public and labor economics and applied microeconometrics. His main research interests are the economics of entrepreneurship and taxation. He published more than thirty research articles in peer-reviewed journals, including Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, European Economic Review, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, and Journal of Financial Intermediation.
- Robert W. Fairlie and Frank M. Fossen (2021): “Did the Paycheck Protection Program and Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program Get Disbursed to Minority Communities in the Early Stages of COVID-19?” Forthcoming in: Small Business Economics, DOI: 10.1007/s11187-021-00501-9.
- Robert W. Fairlie and Frank M. Fossen (2021): “The Early Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Business Sales,” forthcoming in: Small Business Economics, DOI: 10.1007/s11187-021-00479-4.
- Frank M. Fossen, Levent Neyse, Magnus Johannesson, and Anna Dreber (2021): “2D:4D and Self-Employment: A Preregistered Replication Study in a Large General Population Sample,” forthcoming in: Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, DOI: 10.1177/1042258720985478.
- Frank M. Fossen (2020): “Entrepreneurship over the Business Cycle in the USA: A Decomposition,” forthcoming in: Small Business Economics, DOI: 10.1007/s11187-020-00375-3.
- Frank M. Fossen and Alina Sorgner (2021): “Digitalization of Work and Entry into Entrepreneurship,” Journal of Business Research 125, 548-563, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.09.019.
- Robert W. Fairlie and Frank M. Fossen (2020): “Defining Opportunity versus Necessity Entrepreneurship: Two Components of Business Creation,” Research in Labor Economics 48, 253-289, DOI: 10.1108/S0147-912120200000048008. Also available as NBER Working Paper 26377.
- Frank M. Fossen, Ray Rees, Davud Rostam-Afschar, and Viktor Steiner (2020): “The Effects of Income Taxation on Entrepreneurial Investment: A Puzzle?” International Tax and Public Finance 27(6), 1321-1363, DOI: 10.1007/s10797-020-09606-5.
- Nadja Dwenger, Frank M. Fossen, and Martin Simmler (2020): “Firms' Financial and Real Responses to Credit Supply Shocks: Evidence from Firm-Bank Relationships in Germany,” Journal of Financial Intermediation 41(1), DOI: 10.1016/j.jfi.2018.01.003.
- Frank M. Fossen and Alina Sorgner (2019): “Mapping the Future of Occupations: Transformative and Destructive Effects of New Digital Technologies on Jobs,” Foresight and STI Governance 13(2), 10-18, DOI: 10.17323/2500-2597.2019.2.10.18.
- Frank M. Fossen and Thorsten Martin (2018): “Entrepreneurial Dynamics over Space and Time,” Regional Science and Urban Economics 70, 204-214, DOI: 10.1016/j.regsciurbeco.2018.04.004.
- Frank M. Fossen and Viktor Steiner (2018): “The Tax-rate Elasticity of Local Business Profits,” German Economic Review 19(2), 162-189, DOI: 10.1111/geer.12123.
- Frank M. Fossen, Lukas Mergele, and Nicolas Pardo (2017): “Fueling Fiscal Interactions: Commodity Price Shocks and Local Government Spending in Colombia,” International Tax and Public Finance 24(4), 616-651, DOI: 10.1007/s10797-017-9461-4.
- Frank M. Fossen and Daniela Glocker (2017): “Stated and Revealed Heterogeneous Risk Preferences in Educational Choice,” European Economic Review 97, 1-25, DOI: 10.1016/j.euroecorev.2017.03.016.
- Frank M. Fossen and Johannes Koenig (2017): “Public Health Insurance, Individual Health, and Entry into Self-employment,” Small Business Economics–An Entrepreneurship Journal 49(3), 647-669, DOI: 10.1007/s11187-017-9843-0.
Recent Working Papers:
- Frank M. Fossen, Johannes König, and Carsten Schröder (2020): “Risk Preference and Entrepreneurial Investment at the Top of the Wealth Distribution,” IZA Discussion Paper 13951.
- Ege Can and Frank M. Fossen (2020): “The Effects of Non-Compete Agreements on Different Types of Self-Employment: Evidence from Massachusetts and Utah,” IZA Discussion Paper 13414.
- Marco Caliendo, Frank M. Fossen, and Alexander S. Kritikos (2019): “What Makes an Employer?” IZA Discussion Paper 12742.
- Frank M. Fossen and Alina Sorgner (2019): “New Digital Technologies and Heterogeneous Employment and Wage Dynamics in the United States: Evidence from Individual-level Data,” IZA Discussion Paper 12242.
- Junior Researcher of the Year 2019, Nevada Alpha Chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma, The International Business Honor Society
- Graduate Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award 2018, College of Business, UNR
- ECON/ENT 473/673: Economics of Entrepreneurship (cross-listed undergraduate and graduate course)
- ECON 758: Empirical Public Economics (graduate course)
- ECON 102: Principles of Microeconomics (undergraduate course)
- ECON 743: Applied Microeconometric Methods (graduate course)
All course materials are provided on WebCampus.