Join The Committee
All committee members have the opportunity to serve on one or more sub-committees (described below), help design the year’s pin, sell pins and drawing tickets, participate in Great Reno Balloon Race Events (eg., pilot party, crewing for the University sponsored balloon, staffing the balloon pin display at the hospitality tent on event days), and participate in committee pot-luck dinner for pilot.
- Scholarship: This sub-committee reviews applications for eligibility and selects 2 recipients for awards.
- Pins/Drawing Tickets: This sub-committee distributes pins and drawing tickets to sellers, keeps accounting of how many sold, collects monies, and sells pins and drawing tickets.
- Donations/Drawings: This sub-committee solicits drawing prizes from area companies and other donors, sends letters for requests, and picks-up prizes, if needed. Also holds drawing the Wednesday before the GRBR and sends thank-you letters to donors. Delivers drawing prizes not claimed at drawing.
- Publicity: This sub-committee advertises the committee, scholarship recipients and pins/drawings through social media, Nevada News, email from Ron Zurek's office, flyers, etc.
- Pilot’s Party: This sub-committee organizes dinner for pilot; reservations; pilot gift, etc.
- Hospitality Tent: This sub-committee sets up the University reserved booth each race day, secures enough food and drink from committee members for race days, staffs booth and pin display, and gives out any scholarship information.
- Crewing: This sub-committee crews for UNR balloon at event; supplies anything the pilot needs in the way of equipment for balloon; keeps track of banner. In charge of reserving the Quad for Media Day as well as sprinkler shut-off and the unlocking of the posts/bollards on the Quad.
- Website: This sub-committee develops, maintains, and updates the Balloon Race Scholarship Committee webpage with current and past information.