5,401: Building Security and Access
Revised: June 2017
Normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday as follows: academic buildings with centrally-scheduled classrooms, 7:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.; administrative and research buildings 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Buildings may be approved to operate on a different schedule by the Office of the Provost.
This policy does not cover buildings that are approved to schedule their own operations, such as the Joe Crowley Student Union, the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center, and the E.L. Wiegand Fitness Center; Intercollegiate Athletics facilities, including Lawlor Events Center; or residence halls.
1. All buildings with centrally-scheduled classrooms have at least two entrances with key card access. These doors are unlocked automatically each week day morning before classes begin. Other doors are unlocked by personnel in each building.
2. All buildings are locked outside normal hours of operation, except by special authorization and arrangement with Scheduling Services.
3. University Police conducts routine patrols of buildings after instructional periods.
4. Academic classes or ad hoc events scheduled in academic buildings outside normal hours of campus operation will required keys or key card access for interior and exterior doors. Keys may be obtained from Scheduling Services for short-term ad hoc events. For other than short-term need, keys or key card access must be requested through your department from the Facilities Maintenance Service Center through the normal process, see https://tma.unr.edu. Should a reserved room be locked during normal business hours, please contact Scheduling Services, http://www.unr.edu/scheduling. Failure to arrange for building and room access outside normal business hours of campus operation may prevent class or event from taking place.
5. University Police and Facilities Services are not responsible for unlocking doors and will not respond to requests for access except in an emergency.
6. Faculty, staff and other authorized personnel whose responsibilities require access to buildings outside normal hours of operation shall arrange access through their department office.
7. For key control policy, refer to section 5,008. For scheduling policy, refer to section 5,302.