Every year over 350 University of Nevada, Reno students study abroad with USAC. With programs in 27 countries and over 50 cities, classes for every major offered in English, and plenty of immersion opportunities, it is easy to find a location that fits into your academic program and meets your personal goals.
Studying Abroad: Where do I Start?
As the Study Abroad Office for the University of Nevada, Reno, USAC is Your Gateway to the World®!
Our headquarters are located right here on campus, but students from any university are welcome to participate on USAC programs. That means that you won't just make friends and connections in your host country, you will also have the opportunity to engage and network with peers from all over the United States while your explore another country and culture together! And because we are your study abroad office, University of Nevada, Reno students like you have access to special resources to help them plan their study abroad experience.
Step 1: Explore programs and courses
Each of USAC's 50+ program locations offer a wide variety of courses, immersion opportunities, and extra-curricular activities.
- Already know where you want to study? Then visit the Where Can I Study page for a full list of program locations.
- Not sure where you want to go but know what types of courses you want to take? Then visit the What Can I Study page to see your options based on academic discipline.
Step 2: Contact USAC
The USAC staff is here to help you find a program that is the right fit for you, so make sure to be in touch as you explore your options.
- Our Peer Advisors offer walk-in advising and are available Monday thru Friday, 8-5, any day that the university is open. The USAC office is located on the first floor of the Virginia St. Gym next to Church Fine Arts. You can also email email@example.com with any questions or to get firsthand advice from USAC alumni.
- And once you have narrowed down your options to a location or two, we recommend that you come in for an advising session with one of our knowledgeable Program Advisors. You can schedule an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (775) 784-6569. Make sure to include which locations you are interested in so we can pair you with the correct Advisor.
Step 3: Meet with your academic advisor
Schedule a meeting with your academic advisor to make sure you understand how the courses you take abroad will count toward your degree. You can find your academic advisor by visiting the Academic Advising page and clicking on "Who's My Advisor".
If you are planning to use financial aid while abroad, make sure to take one of the following documents with you to this meeting as these forms require the signature of your academic advisor.
- If participating on a USAC Specialty program, take the Contractual Agreement.
- If participating on a USAC Partnership program, take the Study Abroad Degree Applicability Certification.
Step 4: Consider your finances
Studying abroad is more affordable than you may think. In fact, USAC offers programs in 10 countries that are comparable to staying at the University of Nevada, Reno for a semester, and award more than $100,000 in scholarships to UNR students each year! Learn about these programs, scholarship opportunities, and tips for financing study abroad on the Financing Study Abroad page.
Using Financial Aid
If you are enrolled in a degree-seeking program at the University of Nevada, Reno and plan to participate in a USAC program during the semester or for an academic year, you may apply for financial aid and be considered for all aid programs except Work-Study! Learn how to apply your financial aid to study abroad by visiting the Study Abroad & Financial Aid page.
Step 5: Apply!
You will apply for your USAC program on our general website at usac.unr.edu. After you are accepted, make sure to check your Student Gateway account often for updates, pre-departure information, and the scholarship application.