Alcohol policy

In order to provide a safe and healthy environment for students, to comply with federal, state and local law, and to support the academic mission of the University, the following policy for the sale, service, distribution and use of alcoholic beverages has been adopted. This policy applies, but is not limited to, the following: receptions, banquets, dinners, picnics, or any cultural or social activity. Advance request and approval from the associate vice president for Student Life Services to serve alcohol at an activity is required for all student organizations, campus departments and individuals as follows.

  1. A request may be made for alcoholic beverages at any activity sponsored by a student organization on university property or on property occupied by a student organization where all participants in attendance are 21 years of age or older.
  2. A request may also be made for alcoholic beverages at activities sponsored by campus departments or guests using university facilities. Approval of alcohol requests will take into consideration the nature of the activity, number of underage participants, value of alcohol to the purpose of the activity, and security measures in place.
  3. Alcoholic beverages must not be served in association with academic classes. See University Administrative Manual 5313 (e.g. in-class celebrations after final exams).

For activities where alcohol is being requested, the following procedure must be followed:

  1. All requests must be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Student Life Services at least ten (10) working days in advance of the activity.
  2. The sponsoring organization must hire a Licensed Liquor Vendor (LLV), as approved by the City of Reno, to serve the alcohol (if not Campus Catering).
  3. If using a LLV, the request must include a copy of the Business License and Certificate of Liability Insurance.
  4. A representative of the sponsoring organization or department must sign the request accepting responsibility for the activity as it pertains to the distribution and control of alcohol. Department representative must be a full-time administrative faculty/staff member at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Upon approval of the activity, sponsoring organizations and individuals must comply with the following:

  1. There must be adequate food and non-alcoholic beverages available at the activity.
  2. Individuals who appear to be intoxicated at an activity will not be served alcohol.
  3. The designated organizational representative will be expected to intervene with the intoxicated person to ensure the safety of the individual (e.g. provide a "safe ride" home; call a cab, etc. at the cost of the sponsoring organization).
  4. Drinking alcoholic beverages cannot be the primary focus or purpose of the activity.
  5. Promotional materials may make reference to the availability of alcoholic beverages at the activity but may not be directed to an underage audience, and may not display any alcoholic beverage signs, emblems or insignia.
  6. No activity shall include any form of "drinking contest", "all you can drink" promotion, or encourage any form of rapid consumption of alcoholic beverage.
  7. Alcoholic beverages will not be provided as part of a performance contract, nor will alcohol be used on-stage.

Violations of the Policy for Sale, Service, Distribution or Use of Alcoholic Beverages may result in penalties as follows:

  1. Student organizational officers will be subject to sanctions outlined in the University of Nevada, Reno Student Code of Conduct.
  2. Sanctions for student organizations may include, but are not limited to, warning, probation, denial of use of university facilities, and withdrawal of organization recognition.
  3. University departmental representatives will be subject to sanctions as outlined in Chapter 6 of the Board of Regents Handbook.
  4. Guests of the university will be subject to denial of future use of University facilities.