More than 150 University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNR Med) students, faculty, staff, and guests celebrated each other's hard work and achievements over the last four years during the school's 2023 Honors Reception, held Thursday, May 11, 2023, at the Atlantis Casino Resort Spa.
"Tonight, we celebrate and honor the extraordinary achievements of the UNR Med community,” said Dean Dr. Paul Hauptman. “Our graduating students in all degree programs, award winners, faculty, staff, and special guests have contributed to the success of our school. We are grateful for our community partnerships and charitable donors who help make it all possible. Congratulations to all our honorees and graduates, and thank you to everyone who joined us to make this evening special."
Throughout the event, attendees could view scholarly concentration posters created by those students who chose to delve into special-interest topics and complete an academic project. One piece by Jaclyn McBride (MS-4) was also displayed to show the art she created through the collaborative program between UNR Med and the Renown Foundation.
Taking place the night before the class of 2023's Commencement and Doctor of Medicine Academic Hooding Ceremony, the Honors Reception recognized the almost 110 students who graduated with a Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Philosophy, Physician Assistant Studies, Speech Pathology and Audiology Master of Science degree or as a Sanford Center for Aging Scholar.
The event also recognized faculty, staff and students who received awards, major grants, patents, and other special recognitions.
Thomas J. Scully Praeceptor Carissimus Award
Latin for "beloved teacher," the annual Praeceptor carissimus award is named after one of the medical school's early deans, Dr. Thomas J. Scully. The award recognizes someone who has precepted and mentored students and residents, serving as a role model for teaching, clinical practice, and service.
Recipient: Dr. Ronald Smith
Dean's Distinguished Service Award
This award recognizes a UNR Med faculty member who has made extraordinary contributions to the school of medicine's success and has contributed to the school's quality with the highest levels of excellence and commitment.
Recipient: Dr. Kirsten Lorenzen, '91, medical residency, associate professor and medical director of outpatient care at the internal medicine clinic
E.W. Richardson Excellence in Teaching Award
The E.W Richardson Excellence in Teaching Award is presented annually to recognize outstanding faculty educators. It is named for E.W. "Rich" Richardson, who established the award in gratitude for the education his daughter, Dr. Patrice Richardson, '81 M.D., received at UNR Med.
Recipient: Gillian Moritz, assistant professor of physiology and cell biology
Employees of the Quarter
The Employee of the Quarter award recognizes outstanding employees of UNR Med and is based on peer nominations and service to UNR Med's core values.
- Julee Demello, Q1 2022
- Debra Glogovac, Q2 2022
- Jennifer Heck, Q3 2022
- Tabor Griswold, Q4 2022
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society Class of 2023
Alpha Omega Alpha is a national medical honor society that recognizes and perpetuates excellence in medicine. The following fourth-year medical students joined the society:
- Tailer Artis
- Kaileigh Bingham
- Caroline Brereton
- Brooke Clemmensen
- Maebob Enokenwa
- Brooke Gantman
- Erin Kelley
- Sean Torres
- Benjamin Wagner
Jerry & Janet Zebrack Family Scholarship for Humanism
The Zebrack family established this scholarship endowment for medical students named to the Gold Humanism Honor Society, which recognizes students, physicians, and others for their compassionate care. The following second-year medical students received awards for these specific areas:
- Altruism: Korrina Siddiqui
- Duty: Mike Herron
- Humility: Victoria Maged
- Integrity: Erika Thys
- Respect: Stephen Lencioni
Doctor of Medicine Student Curricular Awards
The following medical students received awards for outstanding academic achievements:
- Erin Kelley: Dean's Scholar Award, Merck Manual Award for Outstanding Student in Medical Studies and Dr. and Mrs. John and Shelly Gray Award for Academic Excellence
- Alex Harper: Outstanding Performance in Year Three and Dr. and Mrs. John and Shelly Gray Award for Academic Excellence
- Leanne Perez: Outstanding Performance in Year Two and Dr. and Mrs. John and Shelly Gray Award for Academic Excellence
- Johnathan Joyner: Outstanding Performance in Year One and Dr. and Mrs. John and Shelly Gray Award for Academic Excellence
Medical Student Clinical Awards
The following fourth-year medical students received awards for outstanding performance and achievement in clinical skills and patient care:
- Justine Resnik: Outstanding Student in Family and Community Medicine
- Tailer Artis: Outstanding Student in Internal Medicine
- Sabel Hicks: Outstanding Student in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Rachael White: Outstanding Student in Pediatrics
- Robert Gullickson: Outstanding Student in Psychiatry
- Kaileigh Bingham: Outstanding Student in Rural Health
- Alex Harper: Outstanding Student in Surgery
Doctor of Philosophy and Graduate Program Awards
The following medical students received awards for exceptional academic and research performance:
- Allison Barlett: George G. Bierkamper Graduate Student Research Award
- Natalie Huddy: Outstanding Graduate Student in Speech Pathology and Audiology
- Erinna McCarthy: Physician Assistant Studies Student Achievement Award
Character And Educator Awards
This award recognizes a distinguished teacher who forms unique bonds with students and has had a positive impact on the career development of those students.
Recipient: Dr. Lisa Calvo, associate professor of internal medicine; inpatient hospitalist
Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Awards Presented by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation
The Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, presented by The Arnold P. Gold Foundation, recognizes graduating medical students and faculty members who are exemplars of humanism in the care of patients.
- Student Recipient: Rachael White (MS-4)
- Faculty Recipient: Dr. Elieth Martinez, assistant professor of internal medicine
Soderling Hagen Excellence in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Awards
- Student Recipient: Sonia Figueroa (MS-4)
- Faculty Recipient: Dr. Karen Thiele, '16 M.D., '19 residency, assistant professor of family and community medicine
Outstanding Educator Awards
These awards recognize individuals and departments for excellence in teaching and mentorship of medical students.
- Outstanding Resident Educator: Dr. Timothy Grunert, '19, M.D.
- Outstanding Clinical Community Faculty: Dr. Richard Katschke, Dr. Daniel Spogen
- Outstanding Basic Science Department: Physiology and Cell Biology
- Outstanding Basic Science Faculty: Gillian Moritz, assistant professor of physiology and cell biology
- Outstanding Clinical Department: Pediatrics
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty: Dr. Lisa Calvo, associate professor of internal medicine; inpatient hospitalist