University of Nevada, Reno Extension continues its online town hall and webinar series this week to assist small-business owners.
The English-language town hall and webinar will feature Jamie Schwartz, the new lead business development adviser from the Nevada Small Business Development Center (SBDC). Schwartz will give a preview of how the Nevada SBDC will be assisting business owners over the next couple months, as well as comparing buying an existing business or franchise with starting a new business.
The Spanish-language town hall will feature Melecio Ortega, director and Jose Luis Chavez, associate consultant, from Konfronta, an organization that specializes in providing Hispanic-speaking communities with small-business counseling, courses and services. The town hall will provide information on the organization’s services, and during the webinar, Chavez will focus on the customer culture, sales strategies and customer loyalty.
Both the town halls and the webinars are free, and are part of a series of town halls and webinars for small businesses, “Coping With COVID-19,” that Extension is offering each week. Details on this week’s sessions include:
The English-language town hall, “Introducing Nevada SBDC's New Lead Business Development Advisor” is Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 9 a.m. Panelists include:
- From the Nevada Small Business Development Center – Schwartz
- From the Small Business Administration – Saul Ramos, deputy district director
- From Extension – Reyna Mendez and Juan Salas, business development instructors; and Mike Bindrup, research associate
The English-language webinar, “Should You Buy a Business or Start Your Own?” will be held Friday, Sept. 25, at 9 a.m. Schwartz and Salas will discuss:
- Pros and cons of franchising and buying existing businesses
- How valuation can help your decision
- Assessing your goals as a business owner
The Spanish-language town hall, “Introducing Konfronta,” is Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 2 p.m. Panelists include:
- From Konfronta – Ortega and Chavez
- From the Small Business Administration – Alfredo Cedeño, outreach/marketing specialist
- From Extension – Mendez, Salas and Bindrup
The Spanish-language webinar, “The Customer’s Journey Up Until the Moment of Purchase,” will be held Friday, Sept. 25 at 11:30 a.m. Chavez will discuss:
- Identifying customers’ culture
- Determining what customers buy
- The five sales strategies
- Developing customer loyalty
“Our featured speakers and panelists this week bring a wealth of knowledge and resources for small businesses,” said Buddy Borden, economic development specialist with Extension’s Business Development Program. “We’re excited to be able to connect them with our state’s small businesses during this especially challenging time.”
Both the town halls and the webinars usually run about an hour. To register:
- Sept. 23, 9 a.m., English-language town hall.
- Sept. 25, 9 a.m., English-language webinar.
- Sept. 23, 2 p.m., Spanish-language town hall.
- Sept. 25, 11:30 a.m., Spanish-language webinar.
For more information, go to the Extension Business Development Program website. There are also other resources at the website to assist businesses during the COVID-19 crisis. For more information, email Borden.