- Sc. D., Immunology/Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University 1978
- M.S., Zoology, Arizona State University 1973
- B.A., Biology, Arizona State University 1972
The Hunter laboratory is engaged in several areas of immunological/microbiological research and biomedical engineering. Using the 4T1 mouse mammary carcinoma model in mice, we are investigating the effect of hematopoietic cells and soluble mediators in the tumor microenvironment on tumor growth and metastasis. We have developed and are characterizing the immune response to fungal β-glucan, including its potential use as a vaccine adjuvant. Our lab is developing animal models of the neuro-immune diseases autism and chronic fatigue syndrome. Over the last few years, we have delved into comparative immunology by assessing the immune response of the desert tortoise to bacterial pathogens. On the biomedical engineering front, we and our collaborators have developed a novel fluorescence-based biosensor for sensing nucleic acids, and we are studying the potential of this sensor as a rapid diagnostic tool.
- duPre', S. and Hunter, Jr., K.W. (2007). Murine mammary carcinoma 4T1 induces a leukemoid reaction with splenomegaly: association with tumor-derived growth factors. Exp. Mol. Pathol. 82:12-24.
- Tam-Chang, S-W., Carson, T.D., Publicover, N.G., and Hunter, Jr., K. W. (2007). Stem-loop probe with universal reporter for sensing unlabeled nucleic acids. Anal. Biochem. 366(2):126-130.
- duPre', S.A., Redelman, D., and Hunter, Jr., K.W. (2007). The mouse mammary carcinoma 4T1: Characterization of the cellular landscape of primary tumors and metastatic tumor foci. Inter. J. Exp. Pathol. 88:351-60.
- Hunter, K.W., duPre', S.A., Sharp, T., Sandmeier, F.C., Tracy C.R. (2008). Western blot can distinguish natural and acquired antibodies to Mycoplasma agassizii in the desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii). J. Microbiol. Meth. 75:464-471.
- Berner, V.K., Sura, M.E., and Hunter K.W. (2008). Conjugation of protein antigen to microparticulate β-glucan from Saccharomyces cerevisiae: A new adjuvant for intradermal and oral immunizations. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 80:1053-1061.
- duPre', S., Redelman, D., Hunter, Jr., K.W. (2008). Microenvironment of the murine mammary Carcinoma 4T1: Endogenous IFN-g affects tumor phenotype, growth, and metastasis. Exp. Mol. Pathol. 85:174-188.
- Sandmeier, F.C., Tracy, C.R., duPre', S.A., and Hunter, K.W. (2009). Upper Respiratory Tract Disease (URTD) as a Threat to Desert Tortoise Populations: A Reevaluation. Biol. Conserv. 142:1255-1268.
- Publicover, N.G., Hayes, L.J., Guerrero, F., and Hunter, Jr., K.W. (2009). Video imaging system for automated shaping and analysis of complex locomotory behavior. J. Neurosci. Meth.182:34-42.
- Mohammadpour, H., DuPre', S.A., Tracy, C.R., Redelman, D., and Hunter K.W.(2010). Flow cytometric method for quantifying viable Mycoplasma agassizii, an agent of upper respiratory tract disease in the desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii), in broth culture. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 50:347-51.
- Washio, Y., Hayes, L.G., Pritchard, J., and Hunter, K.W. (2011). Backward conditioning of tumor necrosis factor-a in a single trial: Changing intervals between exposures to lipopolysaccharide and saccharin taste. Physiol. Behav. 102(2):239-44.
- Lombardi, V.C., Hagen, K.S., Hunter, K.W., Diamond, J.W., Smith-Gagen, J., Yang, W., and Mikovits, J.A. (2011). Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus associated chronic fatigue syndrome reveals a distinct inflammatory signature. In Vivo 25:307-14.
- duPre' S.A., C.R. Tracy, Hunter, K.W. (2011). Quantitative PCR method for detection of Mycoplasma spp. DNA in nasal lavage samples from the desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii). J. Microbiol. Meth. 86:160-165.
- Baze, M.M., Hunter, K.W., and Hayes, J.P. (2011). Chronic hypoxia stimulates an enhanced response to immune challenge without an energetic tradeoff. J. Exp. Biol. 214:3255-3268.
- Munoz-Blanco, M., Hayes, L.J., and Hunter, K.W. (2011). Interdisciplinary research on autism: Behavioral measures in the development of a mouse model of autism. Suma Psicologica 18:107-114.
- Sandmeier, F.A., Tracy, C.R., duPre', S.A., and Hunter, K.W. (2012) A trade-off between natural and acquired antibody production in a reptile: implications for long-term resistance to disease. Biology Open 1:1078-1082.
- Drake, K.K., Nussear, K.E., Esque, T.C., Barber, A.M., Vittum, K.M., Medica, P.A., Tracy, C.R., and Hunter, K.W. (2012). Does translocation influence physiological stress in the desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii)? Animal Conserv. 15:560-570.
- duPre', S.A., Tracy, C.R., Sandmeier, F.A., and Hunter, K.W. (2012) Quantitative PCR method for assessing the presence of Pasteurella testudinis DNA in nasal lavage samples from the desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii). J. Microbiol. Meth. 91: 443-447.
- Downs, C.J., Brown, J.L., Wone, B., Donovan, E.R., Hunter, K.W., and Hayes, J.P. (2013).Selection for increased maximal metabolic rate suppresses innate immune function. Proc. Roy. Soc. Series B 280: 20122636.
- Sandmeier, F.A., Hunter, K.W., duPre', S.A., and Tracy, C.R. (2013) Mycoplasmal upper respiratory tract disease across the range of the threatened Mojave desert tortoise: associations with thermal regime and natural antibodies. EcoHealth 10:63-71.
- Huang, L., Zhu, X., Publicover, N.G., Hunter, K.W., Ahmadiantehrani, de Bettencourt-Dias, A., Bell, T.W. (2013) Cadmium- and zinc-alloyed Cu-In-S nanocrystals and their optical properties. J. Nanopart. Res. 15:2056-2066.
- Hudig, D., Hunter, K.W., Diamond, W.J., Redelman, D. (2013) Properties of Human Blood Monocytes I. CD91 expression and log orthogonal light scatter provide a robust method to identify monocytes that is more accurate than CD14 expression . Cytometry B, Clinical Cytometry (in press)