Ready to build your own educational path?
Early College Academy’s 1+3 program provides high school students the opportunity to complete a year or more of college courses while still enrolled at their local high school. By completing one year of college requirements during high school, students can graduate college in three years.
Early College Academy advisors work with students to develop a program of study that fulfill their passions, interests and drives their ingenuity. Students may enroll in a free one (1) credit interdisciplinary course to explore academic interests while developing research and critical thinking skills.
What are the benefits of dual enrollment?
- Get a head start on your college education. Start your college career while still in high school at a Tier 1 University. Courses taken through dual enrollment are for college credit and can be used towards a degree at the University of Nevada, Reno. Students may take up to eight credits each semester.
- Save on tuition. Courses taken through Early College Academy only cost $150 per credit.
- Get rounded support services. Receive academic advising, career readiness and mentorship opportunities.
- Join the University community. Dual enrollment students receive access to University-level courses and state-of-the-art facilities at the University.
What courses are available?
The following courses are open to Early College Academy students.
- Lower-division courses. All lower division courses (numbered 100-200)
- Upper-division courses. Courses numbered 300-400 can be taken with faculty approval.
Example areas of study include the following:
- Humanities and social sciences (e.g., economics, anthropology, sociology)
- Fine arts (e.g., music, theatre, art, dance)
- Science (e.g., geology, nutrition, environmental science, astronomy)
- Advanced mathematics
- Foreign languages
What are dual enrollment admissions requirements?
To be considered for dual enrollment, you must meet the following admissions requirements.
- You must be a high school student.
- You must have a 3.0 cumulative high school GPA (weighted/unweighted).
How do you apply for dual enrollment?
To apply for dual enrollment consideration, you must complete the following steps:
Step 1. Complete the University of Nevada, Reno Undergraduate Non-Degree Seeking Student Application
Step 2. Submit your immunization records, including two doses of Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and 1 dose of Tetanus/Diphtheria (Tdap) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3. Submit your high school transcripts to email@example.com
Step 4. Submit your High School Counselor and/or Vice Principal of Curriculum School District Contract Form* to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you want your dual enrollment courses to satisfy academic requirements at your high school, you must be endorsed by high school counselor and/or Vice Principal of Curriculum.