6,000: Procedures for Changes in Courses or Curricula or Academic Units
Revised: August 2011
The 6,000 through 6,099 sections of the Administrative Manual provide information related to and guidelines for the following changes:
- Courses - addition of new courses, deletion of existing courses, changes in existing courses (changes in course number, title, description, credits, prerequisites, etc.) - Sections 6,010-6,029
- Curricula - changes in majors, minors, programs, certificates, degrees, etc. - changes in the requirements; changes in the name; additions of new majors, minors, programs, certificates, degrees, etc.; elimination of existing majors, minors, programs, certificates, degrees, etc. - Sections 6,030-6,059
- Academic Units - changes in departments, colleges, schools - changes in name, re-organizations, additions or deletions of units- Sections 6,060-6,069 (see section 6,516-6,518 for changes in research or outreach centers, institutes, or other units)
Definitions of terms used in the chart on the following page:
- Certificate - Refer to sections 6,052 and 6,053 below
- Emphasis - Subdivision of an academic program that includes fewer than 18 credits (12 credits for master's degrees) of sufficiently different coursework from other subdivisions. The emphasis name will not appear on transcripts.
- Major - Primary subject or field of study
- Minor - Secondary subject or field of study (refer to section 6,051)
- Specialization - Subdivision of an academic program that includes 18 or more credits (12 credits for master's degrees) of sufficiently different coursework from other subdivisions. The specialization name will appear on transcripts.
See the chart below for an overview and the individual sections for details.
|TYPE OF PROPOSAL (Admin. Manual Section)||New Program Pre-Proposal Committee||Department Courses & Curriculum||College C&C||University C & C||Graduate Council||Faculty Senate Review||NSHE Academic Affairs Council||Board of Regents||NWCCU ACCRED. BODY|
|Courses-Additions, Deletions, or Modifications 1 (6,010)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Minors, Emphases, Specializations, etc. within a new degree–Changes, New, Eliminations (6,000, 6,030 & 6,040)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||No||No||No|
|Emphases, Specializations, etc - Converted to a major||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Degree, Major - New, Deletion, Deactivation (6,040, 6,041, 6,042, & 6,045)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Degree, Major - Reactivation, if the degree or major was placed on hold (deactivated) by the BOR within 5 years||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Degree, Major - Name change with significant curriculum change||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Degree, Major - Cosmetic name change w/no curriculum change (6,040)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Certificate-New undergraduate of 30 credit hours or more; Elimination (6,052, 6,053)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Certificate - New undergraduate of less than 30 credit hours; post baccalaureate certificates||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||If graduate level||No||No||No||Yes|
|Department, School, or College, or Other organizational unit - Cosmetic Name Change (6,060)||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Department, School, College, Institute, Center or other organizational unit-New, Deletion, Deactivation (6,065 and 6,067)||No||No||No||For catalog copy changes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Department, School, College - Name change resulting from significant reorganization, consolidation or change in mission (6,060)||Yes||No||No||For catalog copy changes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Organizational Unit, Center or Institute - Name change that is the result of a significant reorganization of existing units, consolidation or change in mission||No||No||No||For catalog copy changes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Editorial Catalog changes/corrections [6,010(4) & 6,030(3)(d)]||No||No||No||Yes - Info, Item||No||No||No||No||No|
1Note: Effective 07/01/04, new undergraduate courses or deletions of undergraduate courses require the NSHE Common Course Numbering form.