5,515 Requirement for Certification by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory

Revised: December 2019

All equipment and devices connected through an electrical outlet or hardwired to the electrical system at the University of Nevada, Reno must be certified for the intended use by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) such as the Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) or the Canadian Standards Association (CSA). Gas or Oil-fired equipment also require NRTL certification, as do other types of equipment.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Regulations establish the requirement for NRTL certification. These requirements protect students and employees of the University by ensuring equipment is properly designed and safe for the intended use.

A NRTL is an independent third-party organization, recognized by OSHA, who provides independent evaluation, testing, and certification of equipment based on product safety standards developed by consensus standard organizations such as the American National Standard Institute (ANSI). Equipment certified by a NRTL will display a certification mark, which is frequently located near the power cord connection. A complete list of OSHA recognized NRTLs can be found at OSHA Recognized NRTLs.

Other ways of determining NRTL certification is to review product literature or to contact the equipment manufacturer for verification.

The University will not purchase, install, or operate equipment requiring NRTL certification without verification of valid certification for the intended use.

If equipment is not NRTL certified, but necessary to the functional goals of the department, please contact Environmental Health & Safety to discuss options.