5,313: Policy for Sale, Service, Distribution or Use of Alcoholic Beverages
Revised: June 2020
In order to provide a safe and healthy environment for students, faculty and staff, to comply with federal, state and local law, and to support the academic mission of the University, the following policy for the sale, service, distribution and use of alcoholic beverages has been adopted.
This policy prohibits:
- Distributing alcohol to anyone under the age of 21.
- Drinking or possessing alcohol if under the age of 21.
- Drinking alcohol regardless of age if alcohol is prohibited at the location.
The remainder of this policy does not apply to events sponsored by ICA within facilities managed by ICA, including game day activities and tailgates north of South Stadium Way. University departments or colleges who wish to have their own game day tailgate must get approval from the university President, or his/her designee. Except as provided herein, or by UAM 3,010, the storage, or use of alcoholic beverages shall not be permitted on university property owned, leased, rented or supervised by the University, including university supervised housing, apartments, resident halls or other property for which a license has been granted to the University
Request for Approval to Serve Alcoholic Beverages
The Associate Vice President for Student Life Services has the authority to designate the time and place for special events where alcoholic beverages may be served on the university campus. This policy applies, but is not limited to, the following: receptions, banquets, dinners, picnics, or any cultural or social activity. Advance request and approval (https://www.unr.edu/student-services/student-life-services) from the Associate Vice President for Student Life Services or the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education as indicated below, to serve alcohol at an activity is required for all student organizations, campus units and guests of the University as follows.
- A request to the Associate Vice President for Student Life Services may be made to serve alcoholic beverages at any activity sponsored by a student organization on university property or on property occupied or rented by a student organization where all participants in attendance are 21 years of age or older.
- A request to the Associate Vice President for Student Life Services may be made to serve alcoholic beverages at activities sponsored by campus units or guest using university facilities. Approval of requests to serve alcoholic beverages will be based on consideration of the nature of the activity, number of underage participants, value of alcohol to the purpose of the activity, and security measures in place.
- Alcoholic beverages shall not be served, stored, or produced in association with academic classes. The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education is authorized to grant exceptions for academic purposes, including classes. This policy does not restrict academic research into alcoholic beverages, however the serving and consumption of alcoholic beverages as part of research studies may only occur after being approved in writing by the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education and shall only occur in compliance with all state and federal laws, including but not limited to those laws governing experimental wineries or experimental breweries.
For activities where approval to serve alcoholic beverages is requested, the following procedure must be followed:
- All requests must be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Student Life Services at least 10 working days in advance of the activity.
- The sponsoring organization must use the campus food provider or hire a Licensed Liquor Vendor (LLV), as approved by the City of Reno, to serve the alcoholic beverages and must provide acceptable evidence of the use of the campus food provider or of the hiring of the LLV.
- A representative of the sponsoring organization or department must sign the request accepting responsibility for the activity as it pertains to the distribution and control of alcoholic beverages.
Upon approval of the activity, sponsoring organizations and participating individuals must comply with the following:
- There must be adequate food and non-alcoholic beverages available at the activity.
- Individuals who appear to be intoxicated at an activity will not be served alcohol.
- Drinking alcoholic beverages cannot be the primary focus or purpose of the activity.
- Alcoholic beverages are not to be used as a means to promote an event. Promotional materials may make reference to the availability of alcoholic beverages at the activity, but may not be directed to an underage audience, and may not display any alcoholic beverage signs, emblems or insignia.
- No activity shall include any form of “drinking contest”, “all you can drink” promotion, or encourage any form of rapid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Alcoholic beverages will not be provided as part of a performance contract, nor will alcoholic beverages be used on-stage.
Violations of the Policy for Sale, Service, Distribution or Use of Alcoholic Beverages may result in penalties as follows:
- Student organizational officers will be subject to sanctions stated in the University of Nevada, Reno Student Code of Conduct.
- Sanctions for student organizations may include, but are not limited to, warning, probation, denial of use of university facilities, and withdrawal of organization recognition.
- University departmental representatives will be subject to sanctions as stated in Title 2, Chapter 6 of the Board of Regents Handbook or NRS 284.650 and NAC 284.650, as applicable.
- Guests of the University will be subject to denial of future use of university facilities