1,620: Solicitation Procedures
Revised: October 2020
Before soliciting any gift or donation or undertaking fund-raising activities on behalf of any university program or activity, plans for such activities must be reviewed by the Foundation and Development & Alumni Relations. This step is necessary so multiple and excessive solicitations of donors and prospects can be minimized or avoided.
- For grant and contract proposals to government agencies or other sources specifically to support research or training see UAM 1,100 Sponsored Projects.
- Individuals seeking solicitation clearance must first consult with their own division’s dean or vice president, who will work with the Foundation to determine the most appropriate solicitation strategies. The Foundation staff will consider the prospect’s university affiliations, interests, giving record, involvement in past or present solicitations, and other factors when making clearance recommendations. The following information should be included in a request for review of a solicitation plan:
- The name of the individual or organization;
- The purpose of the solicitation;
- The gift amount to be requested; and
- The approximate date of the planned solicitation.
- All fundraising-related publications, proposals, etc., must be reviewed by the Foundation and Development & Alumni Relations before being printed and disseminated.
- The level of funding required to endow named positions, scholarships, renovations and building projects will be set in consultation with the Foundation with the ultimate approval of the University President.