1,610: Authority and Responsibilities
Revised: October 2020
The University of Nevada, Reno Foundation and the division of Development & Alumni Relations helps university faculty and staff members generate philanthropic support for the university’s programs and activities by initiating, organizing, designing, coordinating, and reviewing fund-raising programs and policies. This concentration of expertise assures maximum efficiency and makes available to university personnel a highly skilled team of fund-raising professionals.
The Foundation and the division of Development & Alumni Relations operate expressly to:
- Administer all of the university’s diverse fund-raising activities, including its comprehensive, major, annual and planned giving campaigns targeted to alumni, parents, friends, businesses/corporations, foundations, etc., utilizing any means, including but not limited to: personal, mail, email and social media platforms.
- Facilitate communication with current and prospective donors;
- Assist university administration, faculty, and staff in the assessment of institutional needs for philanthropic funding support, facilitate the identification of prospective donors whose interests match institutional needs, and assist in the development of solicitation strategies, plans, and materials;
- Develop and foster a favorable identity of the University among its many publics;
- Solicit and receive, or acquire by gift, device, bequest, or otherwise, any money or property, real or personal, either absolute or in trust, to be used, either the principal or income there from, for the benefit of the University;
- Purchase, hold, sell, and lease property (real, personal, or mixed), the proceeds of which to be used for the benefit of the University;
- Maintain and update central donor/prospect, alumni and fund accounting information systems to catalog the status of contributions, maintain high accountability standards, and eliminate duplications in all communications; and
- Establish policy regarding the coordination of solicitations and fundraising activities.