2,690: Faculty Providing Scholarly and Professional Outside Compensated Services

Revised: January 2024

This policy applies to academic and administrative faculty members engaged in scholarly and professional services that are compensated through sources other than University-administered funds. Compensation for such services paid from University funds is covered in UAM 2,695: Additional Compensation, Supplemental Pay, and Overloads.

Per the NSHE Board of Regents Handbook (Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 9), outside professional or scholarly service by faculty members within their subject matter field is recognized as a legitimate activity unless specifically prohibited by the faculty member’s contract within the institution, subject to the conditions set forth in this policy. The University recognizes that such activities enhance the performance of the University’s teaching, research and public service missions, and bring credit to the University.

At the same time, the University has a responsibility to ensure that external influences outside the course and scope of one’s University employment do not negatively affect the performance of one’s primary duties to the University. Outside employment and outside professional commitments raise important questions related to time and energy allocation, use of University resources, intellectual property protection, and the potential for conflicts of interest.

Faculty engaged in scholarly and professional outside compensated services are subject to the Code of Ethical Standards of the State of Nevada (NRS 281A.400-281A.660); the NSHE Board of Regents Handbook Compensated Outside Services policy (Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 9); and state and institutional policies on conflicts of interest (NRS 281.230; NSHE BOR Handbook Title 4, Chapter 10, Section 1, Paragraph 7; UAM 2,050). The UNR School of Medicine and other University units may have additional requirements for notification and approval of scholarly and professional outside compensated services.

Definitions for the purpose of this policy:

“Compensation” refers to anything of value received from an outside entity in any form, including, but not limited to salary, consulting fees, speaker fees, honoraria, paid authorship, paid or reimbursed travel, business ownership equity, loans, stocks, bonds, stock options, rights to patent or royalty payments, laboratory/office space, high-value materials that are not freely available (e.g., biologics, chemicals, model systems, technology, etc.), equipment, supplies, and financial support for students and laboratory personnel.

“Outside entity” refers to any business, organization, institution, or individual domestic, or foreign, public, or private- that is not the University of Nevada, Reno.

“University resources” refers to but is not limited to space, including the employee’s office or laboratory space; personnel, including the employee’s time; supplies and equipment; University facilities; and the University name and logo.


Outside scholarly or professional services must not interfere with or be in conflict with the faculty member’s contractual University duties. For “B” contract faculty, scholarly and professional outside compensated services must not occupy more than one day’s equivalent per week, exclusive of non-contract days, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Faculty members on 12-month contracts must take annual leave if providing such services during the standard work week. For the purposes of this paragraph, annual leave is not required to be taken if the activity is scholarly in nature and advances the reputation of the University, such as serving on a national review board, and the amount of compensation above expenses, is less than the monetary value of taking a half-day leave.

Prior Written Approval

Full-time academic and administrative faculty members planning to provide scholarly and professional compensated services to outside entities must request prior written approval from their department/unit head and provide information about the nature of the work to be performed, the entity for which the work will be performed, approximate value of compensation, and the estimated time involved. Prior written approval is requested online by submitting a Compensated Outside Activities (COA) request through InfoEd. Approval for ongoing activities must be requested annually.

When providing services to State of Nevada agencies, faculty members must also receive prior written approval from their vice president, dean, or director.

Examples of compensated outside scholarly and professional activities that require advance notification and approval include:

  • Providing specialized professional services such as consulting, counseling, studies, surveys, research, teaching and/or training programs.
  • Activities that result in textbooks, musical and artistic works, and other forms of educational media when the title to the property remains with the creator and when these are considered for evaluation for performance, and tenure and promotion.
  • Serving on the board of directors of a for-profit entity.
  • Activities that result in patentable inventions, including software. 

Certain scholarly and professional outside compensated services do not require prior written approval:

  • Presenting at professional meetings, workshops, colloquia, symposia, and seminars.
  • Serving on an advisory committee or review panel for a public agency
  • Serving on the board of directors of a non-profit organization that is not “related” to the faculty member’s institutional responsibilities (i.e., the faculty member does not make decisions on behalf of the University that would affect the non-profit organization).
  • Serving as a reviewer or editor for a scholarly journal.
  • Holding office in or undertaking an editorial office or duties for a scholarly journal, academic press, or professional organization.
  • Site visits to public, academic, or non-profit institutions in connection with accreditation, audits, sponsor project reviews, research or similar activities.

Unallowable Compensated Outside Activities

Private consulting on an active University sponsored project in which the faculty member is involved.

Procedures for Compensated Outside Activities Requests

Procedures for the submission, review, and approval of Compensated Outside Activities requests will be maintained on the Sponsored Projects website.

Required Notification to Outside Entities

Faculty members performing scholarly and professional outside compensated services must notify those who engage them that they are not acting in the name of the University and that the University is not a party to the contract nor liable for any actions of such faculty member.

Use of University Resources

Personal use of University property or resources must be in accordance with the NSHE BOR Handbook Title 4, Chapter1, Section 27 and UAM 1,525.

Intellectual Property

Faculty members providing scholarly and professional outside compensated services must abide by the intellectual property policies in the NSHE BOR Handbook Title 4, Chapter 12 and the UAM 6,507. Intellectual property resulting from more than incidental use of University resources must be disclosed to the University.

Registration Fees from Students Prohibited

Faculty members who offer non-University workshops or trainings may not charge workshop/training registration fees to a student who is enrolled in a course for which the faculty member assigns a letter grade.

Conflict Process

If a supervisor believes that a faculty member’s scholarly or professional outside compensated services conflict with the faculty member’s obligations to the University, obligations of the University or institutional policy, the supervisor must inform the faculty member of the concerns and negotiate a mutually acceptable course of action. If a mutually acceptable course of action cannot be negotiated, the matter may be referred to the University’s Conflict of Interest Designated Official. The designated official will determine if the matter needs to be reviewed by the Conflict of Interest Committee, or an appropriate higher authority.

NSHE Report on Outside Activities

To fulfill NSHE annual reporting requirements, the University submits an annual report to the NSHE Board of Regents of aggregate data for full-time faculty requesting to participate in scholarly and professional outside compensated services.