2,162: Contingent Workers
Revised: May 2018
Volunteers, affiliates and other non-paid worker types are called Contingent Workers in the Workday system.
Department Guidelines for Engaging Contingent Workers:
- Develop a description of the Contingent Worker assignment
- Determine the experience qualifications, and training needed
- Recruit Contingent Workers
- Perform appropriate screening of prospective Contingent Workers
Upon acceptance of a Contingent Worker, complete the following:
- Explain the manner and method by which the Contingent Worker will be expected to perform their assignment. Ensure the Contingent Worker is physically able to perform these duties.
- Explain all policies and procedures that apply to the Contingent Worker.
- Provide any assignment-specific training that is deemed necessary.
- Initiate on-boarding of Contingent Worker into Workday System unless exception has been granted by Risk Management Office (see section below).
- The Contingent Worker will need to provide Social Security number to the department in order to be entered into Workday.
- Department will be responsible for maintaining any required documentation, which may need to be reviewed in the event of a workplace injury.
Contingent Workers Who Do Not Require Access:
All contingent workers will be entered into Workday unless they are performing services as one-time occurrence (i.e. concert or event) or an exception is granted by the Risk Management Office. These requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Risk Management Office. Departments will be responsible for maintaining Contingent Worker documents and sign-in sheets for this group.
Contingent worker categories are determined by their need to access university resources and systems. The department may review the table below to determine an appropriate category for a contingent worker.
Contingent Work Categories:
- Adjunct Faculty - a person who provides special services with appropriate rank and title, ex. Volunteer Professor.
- Clinical Adjunct Faculty/Joint Faculty - a person who provides special services with appropriate rank and title, ex. Volunteer Medical Professor.
- Emeritus Faculty- retired academic or administrative faculty.
- Contingent Worker "A" and "B"- a person who performs services for the University that provide a benefit to the department or University. Categories are determined based on the business reason to have access to university resources, as outlined on the chart below.
- Affiliate 1 and 2: a person who performs services for the University but is compensated by a separate company, ex. Washoe County School District. Categories are determined based on the business reason to have access to university resources, as outlined on the chart below.
- Board - member of the Board of Regents who require access to NSHE systems.
- Events - group of volunteers who are performing services at a one-time event and do not require any access to NSHE systems.
|Category||Net ID/NSHE ID||Grants in Aid||Directory Listing||Full Library Access||PeopleSoft/Canvas||Key Access||Wireless|
|Clinical Adjunct Faculty/Joint Faculty||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Contingent Worker "A"||X||X||X||X|
|Contingent Worker "B"||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Affiliate 2 (Reno)||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
*Departments will use the Contingent Worker sign-in sheet for this group.