2,010: University Alcohol and Drug Free Workplace Policy Statement

Revised: September 2018

Alcohol and drug abuse and the use of alcohol and drugs in the workplace are of concern to the State of Nevada and to the University of Nevada, Reno. The University complies with the Omnibus Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989. It is the policy of the University to ensure that its employees do not report for work in an impaired condition resulting from the use of alcohol or drugs; consume alcohol while on duty, except at a university function where the serving of alcohol is approved; or unlawfully possess or consume any drugs which could interfere with the safe and efficient performance of their duties at a work site or on State or NSHE property, or while driving a vehicle on university business. Any employee who violates this policy is subject to disciplinary action. The specifics of the policy follow:

1. In accordance with Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) 284.888, any university employee who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs while on duty, or applies for a position approved by the Personnel Commission as affecting public safety, is subject to a screening test for alcohol, drugs, or both.

2. Emphasis will be on rehabilitation and referral to an employee assistance program when an employee is under the influence of alcohol or drugs while on duty. NAC 284.884 defines the maximum concentration of alcohol in blood or breath as greater than .02 gram by weight of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood. The Appointing Authority shall take into consideration the circumstances and actions of the employee in determining appropriate disciplinary action.

3. Each employee is required to inform their supervisor as soon as possible after consuming any drug which could interfere with the safe and efficient performance of the employee's duties (Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) 284.4063).

4. Any employee who is convicted of violating a federal or state law prohibiting the sale of a controlled substance must be terminated as required by NRS 193.105, regardless of where the incident occurred.

5. Any employee who is convicted of driving under the influence in violation of NAC 284.653 or of any other offense for which driving under the influence is an element of the offense is subject to discipline up to and including termination if the offense occurred while they were driving any vehicle on university business.

6. The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of a controlled substance in the workplace is prohibited. Any employee who is convicted of unlawfully giving or transferring a controlled substance to another person or who is convicted of unlawfully manufacturing or using a controlled substance while on duty or on the premises of university property will be subject to discipline up to and including dismissal.

7. The term, "controlled substance" means any drug defined as such under the regulations adopted pursuant to NRS 453.146. Many of these drugs have a high potential for abuse. Such drugs include, but are not limited to, heroin, cannabis, cocaine, PCP, and "crack". They also include "legal drugs" which are not prescribed by a licensed physician.

8. Each employee is required to inform his or her employer in writing within five days after he or she is convicted for violation of any federal or state criminal drug statute when such violation occurred while on duty or on the employer's premises.

9. Any agency receiving federal contract or grant must notify the federal agency which authorized the contract or grant within ten days after receiving notice that an employee of the agency was convicted within the meaning used in paragraph 8 above. 

10. All of the university health insurance plans include coverage for chemical dependency treatment programs. Coverage differs so please contact your health care provider to find out what benefits are specific to your plan.

11. An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available for assistance to university employees and their eligible family members experiencing difficulties related to alcohol and/or drug problems. University employees may call Mountain EAP at (775) 322-6066. Administrative leave may be granted for two visits to the EAP.

12. University faculty and staff may refer students for assistance through the appropriate Student Services office.

This policy is applicable to all university employees. Specific federal guidelines, statutory provisions and regulations applicable to this policy are set down in the Drug Free Workplace Act and Chapter 284 of the Nevada Revised Statutes and Nevada Administrative Code.