Summer Session Faculty Spotlights

Meet some of the University of Nevada, Reno’s outstanding Summer Session instructors.

Catherine Chaput

Catherine Chaput is an Associate Professor in the Department of English. She earned a B.A. in English Literature and a B.A. in Mathematics from Creighton University, an M.A. in English Literature and Language from Binghamton University (State University of New York), and a Ph.D. in Rhetoric, Composition, and Teaching of English from the University of Arizona. Dr. Chaput’s research interests include affect and the political economy, rhetoric and cultural studies, globalization studies, contemporary politics, and the university as a site of struggle. She is teaching ENG 321: Expository Writing this summer.

Teaching in the summer is a joy—the course goes quickly and yet the pace feels oddly relaxed. Because we meet more often in a shorter period of time, the classroom transforms, almost immediately, into supportive and fun community. The warm weather and long days infuse the daily grind with new rhythms, making everything just a little easier and a little more enjoyable. Indeed, the combination of a concentrated curriculum and the relaxed environment also seem to produce better work from both students and myself. —Catherine Chaput, Associate Professor, Department of English

Michael V Ekedahl

Michael Ekedahl is a Lecturer in the Department of Accounting and Information Systems at the University of Nevada, Reno. Michael earned a BS and MS from the University of Nevada, Reno. He teaches IS 301, business process, and various programming courses at UNR. Michael will be teaching IS 301 this summer. He also serves as an academic advisor to the Information Systems majors.

Summer Session is a great way for students to speed up the path to graduation and the shortened term allows students to focus on one or two classes instead of a full semester load. The online IS 301 section provides significant flexibility for students to complete coursework and still have time to travel or pursue other interests. —Michael Ekedahl, Lecturer, Department of Accounting and Information Systems

Howard Goldbaum

Howard Goldbaum is an Associate Professor in the Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism. He earned a B.A. in English from the University of Connecticut and an M.A. in Communications Photography from Syracuse University. He has taught classes at the University of Nevada, Reno since 2003. Mr. Goldbaum is teaching JOUR 208: All Things Media: Images and Sounds this summer.

I always look forward to teaching in the three-week summer session, as the vibe is more “summer multimedia camp” than “classroom.” Students are taking only one class, and devote their full focus and creative energy on giving their best effort. The resulting work almost always astonishes me with its depth and quality. —Howard Goldbaum, Associate Professor, Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism

Eleni Oikonomidoy

Eleni Oikonomidoy is an Associate Professor for the College of Education. She received her Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instructions from the University of Washington. She teaches many courses on multicultural education in both face-to-face and online formats, including EDUC 413/613: Education for a Changing World, EDUC 680: Multicultural Concerns in Diverse Educational Settings, EDUC 776R: Seminar in Multicultural Education, EDUC 740: Social Class and Schooling, and EDRS 700: Introduction to Educational Research. Eleni is teaching EDUC 413/613: Education in a Changing World and EDUC 741B: Issues: Multicultural Education in summer 2019.

Because of their intense character, summer classes encourage in-depth study, continuity, and reflection. Not only are students able to see the big picture of the material examined, but instructors also have an opportunity to get unique insights into their students’ growth. The limited external disruptions make learning and teaching smooth and meaningful. —Eleni Oikonomidoy, Associate Professor for the College of Education

Angelina Marianna Padilla

Angelina Marianna Padilla is a Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. She received her PhD in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Fluid Mechanics from Stanford University. She teaches various courses on the topics of fluid mechanics, energy, and numerical methods. She is teaching ENGR 360: Introduction to Fluid Mechanics in summer 2019.

Summer courses are wonderful because they allow students to focus on a single topic and learn in a more personalized setting. —Angelina Marianna Padilla, Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering

Julie Smith-Gagen

Julie Smith-Gagen is an Associate Professor in the School of Community Health Sciences. She earned a B.S. in Physics from Frostburg State University, a B.S. in Biology from Florida State University, a Masters of Public Health from the University of South Florida, and a Ph.D. in Epidemiology from the University of California, Davis. She teaches undergraduate Public Health Biology (CHS 200), Epidemiology (CHS 473) and graduate level epidemiology. Dr. Smith-Gagen is teaching CHS 473: Epidemiology and CHS 200: Introduction to Public Health Biology this summer.

I love teaching in Summer Session and online. Summer Session classes are normally smaller and the frequent course meetings encourage students to get comfortable with their peers to inspire focus, innovation, and creativity. The flexibility is ideal for students who work to pay their way through school. Online classes are wonderful because students can express their ideas in the online environment with more depth than they do in person. I have learned so much and have been so proud of how clever students are. I love trying new technology and new ways to teach. Both Summer Session and online teaching have opened up my world to new teaching methods and inspiring students. —Julie Smith-Gagen, Associate Professor, School of Community Health Sciences