Dr. McAfee's research is an applied climatologist with experience in analyzing both historical climate and projections of future climate and in applying that information to resource management and conservation questions. She has worked on questions ranging from bias propagation within coupled models to the production of downscaled snow projections for Alaska and has a strong interest in climate services and public outreach.
- Applied climatology
- High-latitude climate
- Ph.D. in Geosciences, University of Arizona, 2009
- M.S. in Forest Soils, University of Washington, 2002
- A.B., Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, 1998
- Walston, JM, SA McAfee, DJ McEvoy (2023) Evaluating drought indices for Alaska. Earth Interactions. accepted March 2023.
- Walsh JE, S Bigalke SA McAfee, R Lader, MC Serreze, TJ Ballinger (2022) Precipitation. Arctic Report Card 2022, ML Druckenmiller, RL Thoman, TA Moon, Eds.
- Canon C, D Boyle, SA McAfee (2022) Visualizing the structure and development of climate communication research. Journal of Science Communication, 7, A03.
- Albano CM, DMD Dettinger, MI McCarthy, SA McAfee (2021) Techniques for constructing climate stress test scenarios. Climatic Change, 164, 1-25.
- Woodhouse, CA, RM Smith, SA McAfee, GT Pederson, GL McCabe, P Miller, A Csank (2021) Upper Colorado River Basin 20th century droughts under 21st century warming: Plausible scenarios for the future. Climate Services, 100206.
- Sadoti, G, SA McAfee, EF Nicklen, PJ Sousanes, CA Roland (2021) Evaluating multiple climate products in ecological models under current and forecasted temperatures. Ecological Applications, 31(2) e02240.
- Littell JS, McAfee SA, Bartz K, Reynolds J, Hayward G (2020) So goes the snow: snowpack changes and impacts in a warming climate. Alaska Park Science, 19(1), 62-74.
- Striplin RL, SA McAfee, H Safford, MJ Papa (2020) Historical analysis of burn windows for fire and fuels management: An example from the Lake Tahoe Basin. Fire Ecology, 16, 13.