- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (775) 682-6743
- Fax: (775) 327-2332
- Office: Center for Molecular Medicine 211
- Mail Stop: 320
- Website: http://medicine.nevada.edu/directory/subhash-verma
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Microbiology and Virology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 2003-2007
- Ph.D. Microbiology and Biotechnology, Banaras Hindu University, India, 2003
- Research Associate, Microbiology and Virology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 2007-2009
My laboratory is interested in understanding the mechanism of KSHV genome replication during reactivation as well as during de-novo infection of human cells. Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpesvirus (KSHV), also referred, as Human Herpesvirus 8 (HHV8) is tightly linked to various human malignancies including Primary Effusion Lymphomas (PELs), Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) and Multicentric Castleman's Disease (MCDs) and cause tumors predominantly in immune compromised individuals including HIV+ and patients receiving immune suppressive therapies to prevent graft rejection. KSHV induced tumors are one of the major causes of morbidity and mortality of HIV/AIDS patients.
The major research interests are defining the genetic and epigenetic factors involved in regulating viral DNA replication during latent as well as lytic phases of the viral life cycles. We use a novel, Single Molecule Analysis of the Replication DNA (SMARD), approach to localize the replication initiation (ori) and termination sites on the viral genome. We are using next generation sequencing (RNA-seq and ChIP-seq) to delineate the changes in chromatin structure required for replication initiation. Additionally, we are using various other biochemical and recombinant approaches to establish the role of viral genes in replication and persistence of the viral genome.
Tumor Virology/Microbiology/Infectious Diseases
- Qiliang Cai, Shen Cai, Caixia Zhu, Subhash C. Verma SC, Ji-Young Choi, Erle S. Robertson (2013). A Unique SUMO-2-Interacting Motif within LANA Is Essential for KSHV Latency. PLoS pathogens 9:e1003750.
- Subhash C. Verma*, Qiliang Cai, Edward Kreider, Lu J and Erle Robertson* (2013) Comprehensive analysis of LANA interacting proteins essential for viral genome tethering and persistence. PLoS One 01/2013; 8(9): e74662 *Corresponding authors.
- Maria E. McDowell, Pravinkumar Purushothaman, Cyprian Rossetto, Gregory Pari and Subhash C. Verma (2013). Phosphorylation of KSHV processivity factor, ORF59, by a viral kinase modulates its ability to associate with RTA and oriLyt. J. Virol 87:8038-8052.
- Cyprian Rossetto, Margaret Elorza, Subhash C. Verma, Pravinkumar Purushothaman, and Gregory Pari (2013). Regulation of viral and cellular gene expression by Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpesvirus (KSHV) PAN RNA. J. Virol 87:5540-5553.
- Pravinkumar Purushothaman, M. E. M., James McGuinness, Ruth Salas, Sharif M. Rumjahn and Subhash C. Verma (2012). KSHV encoded LANA recruits Topoisomerase IIβ for latent DNA replication of the terminal repeats. J. Virol 86:9983-94.
- Subhash C. Verma*, Jie Lu, Qiliang Cai, Settapong Kosiyatrakul, Maria E. McDowell, Carl C. Schildkraut* and Erle S. Robertson* (2011) Single Molecule Analysis of Replicated DNA Reveals the Usage of Multiple KSHV Genome Regions for Latent Replication. PLoS Pathogens Nov; 7 (11): e1002365. *Corresponding authors.
- Qiliang Cai, Bingyi Xiao, Huaxin Si, Amanda Cervini, Jie. Lu, Santosh. K. Upadhyay, Subhash. C. Verma, and Erle. S. Robertson (2012). Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus upregulates Aurora A expression to promote p53 phosphorylation and ubiquitylation. PLoS Pathogens 8:e1002566.
- Jie Lu, Subhash C. Verma, Qiliang Cai, Abhik Saha, Richard Dzeng and Erle S. Robertson (2012). The RBP-Jκ binding sites within the RTA Promoter Regulates KSHV Latent Infection and Proliferation. PLoS Pathogens Jan;8(1): e1002479.
- Subhash C. Verma, Ke Lan, Erle S. Robertson (2007). Structure and function of latency-associated nuclear antigen. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2007; 312:101-36.
- Ke Lan, Subhash C. Verma, Masanao Murakami, Bharat G. Bajaj, Rajeev Kaul, Erle S. Robertson (2007). Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus-encoded latency-associated nuclear antigen stabilizes intracellular activated Notch by targeting the Sel10 protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 104(41): 16287-92.
- Subhash C. Verma, Ke Lan, Tathagata Choudhuri, Murray A. Cotter, Erle S. Robertson (2007). An autonomous replicating element within the KSHV genome. Cell Host Microbe. 2 (2): 106-18.