2,200 degrees awarded during Commencement weekend
The University of Nevada, Reno's Spring Commencement conferred 2,215 degrees and certificates, nearly a 10 percent increase over last year and the largest number of graduation applicants in the University's history. Two ceremonies were held, one for advanced-degree recipients on Friday, May 18 and one for bachelor-degree recipients on Saturday, May 19. Both ceremonies took place on the University's historic Quadrangle, located on the southern part of campus.
During the University's 122nd Commencement, 1,653 bachelor degrees and 562 advanced degrees and certificates (master's and doctoral degrees and education specialist certificates), were awarded. The University awarded 2,012 degrees and certificates in spring 2011 and 1,997 in spring 2010.
Several highlights and special programs were held on campus surrounding the University's 2012 Spring Commencement:
- Separate multicultural graduation celebrations were held, including the Lavender Graduation Celebration honoring LGBTIQ students, held at 6 p.m., Wednesday, May 16 in the Joe Crowley Student Union's Great Room, and the Third Annual Black Graduates Celebration at 12:30 p.m., Friday, May 18 in the Wells Fargo Auditorium of the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center.
- The Honor the Best Ceremony, recognizing top students, faculty and staff, was held 3-5 p.m., Wednesday, May 16, at the Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom.
- The Orvis School of Nursing Convocation, held at noon, Thursday, May 17 in the Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom, is a pinning/hooding and awards ceremony for undergraduate, master's and doctoral nursing students. Contact Sharon Muldoon, (775) 682-7166.
- The CASAT Completion Ceremony, from 3-5 p.m. on Thursday, May 17 in the Joe Crowley Student Union Theatre, celebrates students who have completed programs through the Center for the Application of Substance Abuse. Contact Debbie Leone, (775) 784-6265.
- The Senior Scholars Reception and Ceremony recognized outstanding seniors and their mentors Thursday, May 17 at the Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom C.
- The Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) Commissioning was held Friday, May 18 at the Joe Crowley Student Union Theatre.
- The School of Social Work Convocation took place at 10 a.m., Friday, May 18 in Nightingale Hall, Church Fine Arts Building
- The Class of 1962 returned to campus for its 50th reunion during the Golden Reunion Reception and Campus Tour Friday, May 18 at Morrill Hall.
- The University of Nevada School of Medicine Academic Hooding Ceremony took place Friday, May 18 at Lawlor Events Center.