Mission & Vision
Dean’s Future Scholars empowers low-income, first generation students to graduate high school and achieve higher education by fostering long-term relationships and equipping students with the knowledge, skills, and support in order for them to become responsible and productive citizens.
Dean’s Future Scholars will provide a variety of research-based interventions to increase high school graduation rates in Washoe County School District, increase diversity and persistence rates at the University of Nevada, Reno, Truckee Meadows Community College, and increase the number of students entering the field of education. Dean’s Future Scholars will successfully collaborate with community stakeholders to increase student achievement at all levels and ultimately promote economic growth in the State of Nevada by helping recruit and educate a diverse workforce.
Dean’s Future Scholars believes:
- Every student is unique and has the potential to succeed given proper support and guidance.
- Every student will receive a rigorous, meaningful education and will graduate career and college ready.
- All students can achieve equal access to higher education regardless of their cultural, socio-economic, or academic background.
- Collaboration with all stakeholders, such as parents/guardians, educators, and community members, is essential and fundamental in effectively providing the necessary support to all students.
- Data will drive program decisions.
- Fostering long-term relationships and providing early interventions starting in the sixth grade is critical in building a strong pipeline to college.
- Hiring Dean's Future Scholars college students to become program mentors is an effective and meaningful way for students to give back to the community.